Orphek to MH

Daedalus8311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have been considering moving back to MH which has been probably 10 years since I've had them. I have the Orphek Atlantik v4 over my sps dominant with 2 OR3 bars, and instead of upgrading the board/led panel to their new version to go back to MH and keep the OR3 bars.

Has anyone left orphek to go back to Metal halide?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You'll be glad you did!

I didn't leave Orphek (I have no intention to ever use their LEDs if I can help it) but I tried almost every major LED out there before going back to MH 16 months ago. Do not regret it for one second.

I use Reef Brite pendants, bulbs, and ballasts. Tullio has got some great products on the market for those of that still want the best.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went the opposite way from mh to
Orphek and would absolutely never go back to MH, just don’t like them even decades ago.

that being said is almost all personal preference and things will be good either way. Gotta run what you like.

fwiw I experienced greater growth under orpheks but there is a lot that goes into growth besides the light. This is an acro sps tank. Really besides user preference there isn’t a big difference if you have been in the hobby a while.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not left Orphek to go back to MH's. I would never go back to MH's, I enjoy led's too much. LOL But if you really like MH's and you enjoy the look better. Then you should go back to them. Its all about what you want and that is all the matters. If you can find one. Check out sfiligoi old t5/MH fixtures.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What questions or concerns do you have?

MH bulbs, T5 bulbs and even VHO bulbs have sold more in the last year year or two than ever before. Plenty are using them still, for the first time, or again. Plenty more are not. MH still performs at the highest level. Whether you might want them will depend on you, so let us know your concerns and people can probably help.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running reefbrite halide fixtures with t5 blue plus on either side and then orphek or3 blue plus bars on the outside.

You can’t see the t5 much at all with the halides on, but the orphek bars do blue up the color and add some pop.

I’m obviously a fan of hybrid lighting. I think the halides keep acros a little healthier and more forgiving.

A lot of my corals came from a guy running Atlantics. He has kept an impressive sps dominant tank for years. I have less dead spots on the underside/ backsides of my acros. My colors are a little better than his, but I attribute that mostly to nutrients and reef moonshiners.

I’d say try it and see what you think , but save your old lights, just in case!

Attachments

• D4536CB0-BC97-4790-A152-7E6486A05A74.jpeg
    D4536CB0-BC97-4790-A152-7E6486A05A74.jpeg
    94.4 KB · Views: 57

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running reefbrite halide fixtures with t5 blue plus on either side and then orphek or3 blue plus bars on the outside.

You can’t see the t5 much at all with the halides on, but the orphek bars do blue up the color and add some pop.

I’m obviously a fan of hybrid lighting. I think the halides keep acros a little healthier and more forgiving.

A lot of my corals came from a guy running Atlantics. He has kept an impressive sps dominant tank for years. I have less dead spots on the underside/ backsides of my acros. My colors are a little better than his, but I attribute that mostly to nutrients and reef moonshiners.

I’d say try it and see what you think , but save your old lights, just in case!
Curious how high off the water are your MH running?

mandarin417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are my passion with corals coming second. My fish look best with MH and LED supplement. I could never get the colors I liked with the LEDs. I would love to use them for many reasons but the colors with MH are so much better looking to me.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 149 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 66 26.9%
Back