Orphek v4 compact and AI light mount

bckey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried mounting the orphek atlantik v4 compact using the aqua illumination light mounting system. I want to order the orphek while it is onsale but hanging it or mounting with arms from the back glass of the aquarium are out. That is why this particular option looks appealing. If anyone has attempted this or knows someone that has any help would be appreciated. This idea was given to me by hart24601 (Brett). Much appreciated!

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/hms-multi-light-mount-kit-aqua-illumination.html

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/multi-light-hms-track-aqua-illumination.html

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/atlantik-compact-v4-gen-2-led-light-fixture-orphek.html

I'm sure I can find a way to make it work but if someone has already done it and refined the process it would be very helpful to know before I start ordering stuff. Thanks again.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mount-Orphek-LED-lighti-atlantik.png

Note: not my tank, stole the pic off the blog post above.

OP
OP
bckey

bckey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the article. Good ideas for mounting the orphek v4. I can't use Orphek mounts because they utilize the back of the tank where I have no room. I wonder if the new aqua illumination rail mounting system is just like the Radion mount. It has changed since this article was written.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the slot size is the same I don't see why not. Of course you need two of everything which is a bummer but it's solid and I like can adjust where the light is back and forth and side to side.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the article. Good ideas for mounting the orphek v4. I can't use Orphek mounts because they utilize the back of the tank where I have no room. I wonder if the new aqua illumination rail mounting system is just like the Radion mount. It has changed since this article was written.
This is @HolisticBear 's
When he had just mounted the lights with the / Radion RMS mounting / on his custom build.

IMG_20180711_162929.jpg

Lol!!
It's like a master piece, and the height is just right for great led spread.

:)

OP
OP
bckey

bckey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The radion mounts look awesome but the cost is too much because of having to double up everything. It looks like the aqua illumination mount ($120.99) would be less than half the cost of the radion mount at $330. I do have to say though HolisticBear's setup is really awesome looking!

OP
OP
bckey

bckey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The radion mounts look awesome but the cost is too much because of having to double up everything. It looks like the aqua illumination mount ($120.99) would be less than half the cost of the radion mount at $330. I do have to say though HolisticBear's setup is really awesome looking!

Let me revise this statement. I still need to double up the aqua illumination mount so the cost would be $241.98 vs. $330 for the radion mount. Not sure either one is worth the price. You would figure the compact version would mount in the middle because of the smaller size but that is not the case. I might just buy the light while it is on sale for 25% off and then work on a solution to mount it. I think my frustration lies more with the limitations of an 40 gallon AIO tank more than finding a suitable mounting option for the compact v4.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me revise this statement. I still need to double up the aqua illumination mount so the cost would be $241.98 vs. $330 for the radion mount. Not sure either one is worth the price. You would figure the compact version would mount in the middle because of the smaller size but that is not the case. I might just buy the light while it is on sale for 25% off and then work on a solution to mount it. I think my frustration lies more with the limitations of an 40 gallon AIO tank more than finding a suitable mounting option for the compact v4.

I think the Radion mounts work in the first place because they use standard sizes screws. So if you're handy and/or willing to work with 80/20, you can likely make something. But it will take time/money.

What about hanging from the ceiling? Many lights come with a ceiling mount. It is intimdating, but works. The orphek comes with ceiling cables I think. BRS has a video about ceiling mounts somewhere.

With all that said, I think a good number of people pick their lights (AI, Radion, Kessil, Orphek, Razor?) specifically because the light mounts work for them. So it's normal to pick a light based off the lighting solution. Most of us have rimless tanks now, mounting is key.

OP
OP
bckey

bckey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. Ceiling is out for me and I only have room for 1 mount coming off the back of the tank which currently has 1 kessil a360we on it. I am trying to upgrade and get away from the single kessil. The new 360x is what I had planned on because of being a simple swap but there is not enough of an upgrade to justify $450 for the light and $100 for the controller. I know about pretty much every way an aquarium light can be mounted. It is trying to get something that will work with my current setup for the light I want. If these companies just made legs for a lot of these more compact lights it would be a tremendous help to a lot of reefers. After initial disappointment with the kessil a360x I was looking at t5 when I ran across the orphek. People bragged about how sps growth was extremely good with this light. If it works just as good or close as an ati t5 and is half the size then I am willing to work on a mounting system.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can make or find some cross bars for the corners like in the pic here you can use one rail. Not my pic but I think it might be from a r2r thread?
7D6C3ADE-9A47-453E-B835-F455740500F4.jpeg

OP
OP
bckey

bckey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did think about it. You would think Orphek would have made some brackets for it like a lot of other companies have for their lights. I just don't understand why on such a small light they made it for 2 mounts instead of across the middle. I am also wondering if the radion tank mount puts the Orphek too close to the water (7 inches). The aqua illumination mount on the other hand will adjust up to 13 inches.

I have found these for the mitras lx7206 if I decide to go that route. They are the other led option that seem to be well liked.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wasn't too long ago that no one had any tank mounts at all, so it's getting better.

I am thinking orphek doesn't have single point brackets because historically there hasn't been a huge demand but hopefully they make them as BRS had made the light more accessible to us in the USA. If a mount is tall enough one can probably use the included hanging kit too.

slyseekr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the same boat a month ago (upgraded from some AI primes to an Atlantik setup), saw the tank mount arms and didn’t feel super comfortable with where the hardware mounts to the tank itself — all that weight from a full size and compact Atlantik flexing on one point of the tank rim.

I’ve got my Atlantik’s hanging with 8020 for under $150 for the entire setup (frame, height adjustable hanging hooks, ceiling mounting hardware).

I had originally planned a height adjustable and articulating 8020 wall mount behind the tank, but it ballooned the price to over $300.

5680052c38b5e4f38c7d89cb2a2b9350.jpg

slyseekr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can make or find some cross bars for the corners like in the pic here you can use one rail. Not my pic but I think it might be from a r2r thread?
7D6C3ADE-9A47-453E-B835-F455740500F4.jpeg

This is from Joe’s Coral Reef, videos here:

I had idolized this setup for some time, but didn’t have the tools to make it happen.

OP
OP
bckey

bckey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep me too. I have seen Joe’s videos and loved his stand. He is pretty handy with 80/20. Right now I am leaning towards using the hangers to hang it from the aqua illumination mount until i can find some brackets for it.

OP
OP
bckey

bckey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up ordering the Orphek Atlantik V4 Compact last night at BRS. I was waiting for my mr. chili beach towel freebie. I have no doubts that I will love this light. I wanted to thank everyone that contributed to this thread and helped me with all the mounting questions I had. I still have not completely settled on a mounting option yet but I have a week before the light gets here to brainstorm it. Thanks again to everyone. Great information!

Back