OsiViper's Red Sea Reefer Build

OsiViper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting back into the hobby after about 5 years. I had been wanting to get back into it for a while but never really had the opportunity until now. Got a Red Sea Reefer 350 and I've had the tank for about a month now, and I'm almost ready to leak test it! Just need to plumb the return pump through the UV and into tank, and then build the 1/2" manifold from 2nd pump. I have a Varios 4 as the main return pump. I also have a Varios 2 that will be feeding a manifold for reactors and other stuff, but it will have the ability to feed into the main return line should the main return pump fail. I built a panel that can be seen on the right for the Varios Pumps, ReefWave Pumps, as well as a tablet for an Apex Display. The panel is held up by some VERY strong neodymium magnets and behind it is a shelf that is on a track so it can be pulled out. That is where the dosing pump (GHL Doser) and power strips & power supplies will be. Will be dosing DIY Tropic Marin All-for-Reef for a while, once the Alk consumption is high enough I will probably switch to a calcium reactor.

I debated running a CO2 scrubber for a while, but in my house (especially in summer) all the windows are closed so CO2 will build up. But the tank is up against an outside wall so I will be running the skimmer airline straight outside instead. I have a massively over-sized UV sterilizer for it that will be doing >90,000µw/cm² for the entire tank return flow. Will be running a fuge with the AI Prime Fuge light, I also have way more 2" MarinePure cubes than I know what to do with that will be placed into different places in the sump. Have a Neptune ApexEL for control, as well as a Neptune Trident for testing. Have 2x RedSea ReefWave 25 pumps for flow in the tank.

Plan on being a SPS dominant tank in terms of coral, with some LPS/softies in lower light areas. Still not fully sure on the full livestock list, I know I want a pair of the Black/White Clowns (Like Snowflake Clownfish), Diamond Watchman Goby, Yellow Watchman Goby & Pistol Shrimp pair, and debating a Kole tang as well. But I want a few more smaller ones, with just the clowns and tang swimming around wont be much for a 48 gallon tank, as the Gobies will probably be in/around their caves most of the time.

The tank hopefully will be cycled fairly quickly because when I got this tank, I pulled an IM Fusion 10 tank that was still new in the box out of storage and set it up. It has been running for almost a month now. There really is nothing in the tank, except for one large rock that will go into the main tank, and around 30 of the 2" MarinePure cubes. I initially dosed the tank to 8ppm of ammonia and waited until it started to lower, then began monitoring the nitrite and nitrate. It finished the cycle in around 3 weeks or so but I have still been dosing ammonia daily. It converts the ammonia so fast now, in the beginning as soon as I saw the ammonia start to go down, it took 3-4 days to get it to 0. Now I put in ammonia to get to 8ppm before I go to bed, and by the next afternoon it is at 0 again. I rearranged the cubes in the tank as well so some of the cubes are in high-flow areas that will get good oxygenation, and some have very little/no flow. After rearranging the cubes, and seeing nitrates go way up, I started putting in some NO3:pO4-X in everyday to keep Nitrate and Phosphates down, as well as hopefully start growing some anoxic bacteria inside of the cubes without flow (being hopeful I know). When the main tank is up and running I will take the cubes and put them in the sump, as well as the rest of the cubes I have. Then the 10g will be ready to use as a quarantine tank as well.

Forgive the bad pictures (and the construction mess), they were taken this morning at 4am when I was on the way out the door going to work. I will get better one as the build progresses.

20200616_043538.jpg 20200616_043633.jpg 20200616_043701.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is a lot to like here! It will be fun to watch your system come together and then mature!

OP
OP
OsiViper

OsiViper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, got the plumbing finished, and now it's hooked up and it's leak testing. Have a whole bunch of saltwater mixed up and ready to go.

This weekend will be draining it after the leak test and remove any pet hair or debris that may be stuck somewhere. Need to decide how I want to do my aqgascaping and then glue it all together. I will also be working on hooking up and organizing wiring, probes, float switches, etc.

OP
OP
OsiViper

OsiViper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some better pictures, not done by a camera phone.

Got it filled up with tap water last night. I thought I had an adapter to hook up my sink faucet to a garden hose, but turns out it was an adapter that went to NPD instead of GHT/NH. So I ended up filling the tank using 1/4" poly tube, needless to say that took a while. I initially checked the level of the tank and it was 0.0° on all angles (got lucky). After I filled the tank and checked it again it had hardly moved, it only changed by 0.1° leaning back towards the wall. As it is on a 2nd floor house I was worried about the load of a 91 gallon tank, but it didn't budge. The house is fairly new, only 2 years old now, so I contacted the company that built the home for us and asked about the flooring. Was kinda concerned when she said the flooring was on 24" on center spacing, however when I looked at the prints for the house, they didn't use joists but instead used flooring trusses designed for 60psf so I should be fine. I also looked where the trusses are placed, and where it is it is pretty much centered right over 2 trusses on the exterior wall.

Still have a few more things to wire in, have to mount Apex, power supplies, probes, then fix the rats nest of wires. Also planning on running the skimmer airline directly outside as the tank is on an exterior wall. Over the 24 hours its been leak testing, I only had one leak on the threads going into the UV, and tightening it a quarter turn fixed it. Should have saltwater in it by tomorrow and will dump a bunch of the MarinePure cubes in the sump to kick start the cycle, then will work on aquascaping, and putting sand in. I will be fixing all the aquascaping together with E-Marco-400.

I tested par readings with the water running. With the light setup on its "SPS Mode" for the peak hours, in the center I get 600 PAR right at the water surface, 400 PAR 10" down, and about 275 PAR at the bottom. Going to the outer sides of the tank about 12" from left and right walls I get 500 PAR at the surface, 300 PAR 10" down, and ~200 PAR at the bottom. In the very outer corners of the tank on the bottom, I get about 125 PAR.

Also went to 2 fish stores that are near me (~2 hours away), just to look around at coral and fish. Both of them were scary to say the least. One of them had new fish coming in and didn't quarantine them at all, they just dumped all the fish into a couple separate 5 gallon buckets. Some bags had dead fish in with live fish, they just dumped the whole thing into the same bucket with all the others. Then they started taking cups of water from the tanks they were supposed to go into and dumping it in the bucket to try and acclimate over the period of about 3 minutes. Then they took the entire 5 gallon bucket including all the water that the fish came in, back into the tank. The employees in the other store were knowledgeable, but really didn't seem to care much. There were dead fish in almost every tank (some rotting away), and most of the others looked sick (plus they wanted $49 for a basic Ocellaris Clownfish. I looked at their frag tank just for ***** and giggles, most of the coral looked unhappy and very freshly cut (with the exception of a few ones that had crusted over) even the toadstool looked angry and had no polyps extended. Then I noticed something on a Zoa rock, Aiptasia. After further looking around I noticed it had spread to multiple frag plugs, that and the blue tang they had in the tank was rubbing up against the egg crate, rocks, etc.

EVE00053.jpg EVE00068.jpg EVE00069.jpg EVE00056.jpg EVE00070.jpg

OP
OP
OsiViper

OsiViper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Fixed the rats nest of wires
  • Installed heaters
  • Installed fuge light back
  • Installed under cabinet lighting with magnetic sensors on both doors
  • Made mount for UV sterilizer transformer
  • Made power supply mounts for pumps, wavemakers, and fuge light
  • Mounted Apex
  • Made 24V to 12V cable for cooling fan to plug directly into Apex
  • Currently filling with saltwater

EVE00071.jpg EVE00073.jpg EVE00074.jpg EVE00075.jpg EVE00076.jpg

OP
OP
OsiViper

OsiViper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completed
  • Finished Adding Saltwater
  • Added MarinePure 2" Bio-Cubes to Sump
    • I ordered the 1/2 cubic foot box.. Don't be fooled thinking that is not many.. I have so many of these things EVERYWHERE in the sump. They are covering the bottom of the entire sump with the exception of a few places 1-2 cubes deep, and I still only used about half of the box.
  • Finished Mounting Power Supplies and Wire Routing (Still a Rat's Nest of Wires)
  • Finished Installing & Programming ApexEL
  • Wired GHL Cooling Fan to Apex 1LINK Port
  • Installed GHL 2.1 Doser
  • Installed Bashsea 10 Gallon ATO Reservoir and Plumbed to Doser
  • Put Dosing Containers & Neptune Trident in Their Locations (Not Plumbed or Running Yet)
  • Installed 2x 48" Illumagic Vitamini Actinic Strips in Addition to Main Light
  • Cemented Rockwork Together (Took a Few Days)
  • Added Rockwork and Sand to Tank (Still Cloudy)
  • Ignore the Floating Chaeto Pieces --- Added the Chaeto From Algaebarn but It Disintegrated
Not Yet Completed
  • Need Tank to Clear Up and Then Make a PAR Map for the Tank
    • Par right now is insanely high (>1000 at the surface), will definitely need to back off on the lights.
  • Waiting on New Controller for ReefWave Pump, One of the Current Ones Was DOA
  • Hook Up Neptune Trident for Testing (Will Wait Until Closer to Adding Coral)
  • Hook Up Dosing Container (Using 1 Container for DIY All-For-Reef, 1 for Trident Waste, 1 Unused)
  • Wire Up Mini DIN-6 Cable to Float Switches for GHL Doser.
  • Wire Up Mini DIN-8 Cable for Neptune I/O Breakout Box
  • Make Float Switch Mounts & Probe Holders for Sump
    • Currently have Neptune Magnetic Probe Holder, but I have heard bad things about it leaking.
    • Dosing pump is doing ATO, but right now it is on a timer rather than floats.
  • Design 1/2" PVC Manifold for Sump to Feed Media Reactor & to Tumble Chaeto in Refugium Section
  • Probably More That I Will Think of Later...

EVE00008.jpg EVE00022.jpg EVE00015.jpg EVE00018.jpg EVE00021.jpg EVE00025.jpg EVE00026.jpg EVE00027.jpg EVE00028.jpg

Jason23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some better pictures, not done by a camera phone.

Got it filled up with tap water last night. I thought I had an adapter to hook up my sink faucet to a garden hose, but turns out it was an adapter that went to NPD instead of GHT/NH. So I ended up filling the tank using 1/4" poly tube, needless to say that took a while. I initially checked the level of the tank and it was 0.0° on all angles (got lucky). After I filled the tank and checked it again it had hardly moved, it only changed by 0.1° leaning back towards the wall. As it is on a 2nd floor house I was worried about the load of a 91 gallon tank, but it didn't budge. The house is fairly new, only 2 years old now, so I contacted the company that built the home for us and asked about the flooring. Was kinda concerned when she said the flooring was on 24" on center spacing, however when I looked at the prints for the house, they didn't use joists but instead used flooring trusses designed for 60psf so I should be fine. I also looked where the trusses are placed, and where it is it is pretty much centered right over 2 trusses on the exterior wall.

Still have a few more things to wire in, have to mount Apex, power supplies, probes, then fix the rats nest of wires. Also planning on running the skimmer airline directly outside as the tank is on an exterior wall. Over the 24 hours its been leak testing, I only had one leak on the threads going into the UV, and tightening it a quarter turn fixed it. Should have saltwater in it by tomorrow and will dump a bunch of the MarinePure cubes in the sump to kick start the cycle, then will work on aquascaping, and putting sand in. I will be fixing all the aquascaping together with E-Marco-400.

I tested par readings with the water running. With the light setup on its "SPS Mode" for the peak hours, in the center I get 600 PAR right at the water surface, 400 PAR 10" down, and about 275 PAR at the bottom. Going to the outer sides of the tank about 12" from left and right walls I get 500 PAR at the surface, 300 PAR 10" down, and ~200 PAR at the bottom. In the very outer corners of the tank on the bottom, I get about 125 PAR.

Also went to 2 fish stores that are near me (~2 hours away), just to look around at coral and fish. Both of them were scary to say the least. One of them had new fish coming in and didn't quarantine them at all, they just dumped all the fish into a couple separate 5 gallon buckets. Some bags had dead fish in with live fish, they just dumped the whole thing into the same bucket with all the others. Then they started taking cups of water from the tanks they were supposed to go into and dumping it in the bucket to try and acclimate over the period of about 3 minutes. Then they took the entire 5 gallon bucket including all the water that the fish came in, back into the tank. The employees in the other store were knowledgeable, but really didn't seem to care much. There were dead fish in almost every tank (some rotting away), and most of the others looked sick (plus they wanted $49 for a basic Ocellaris Clownfish. I looked at their frag tank just for ***** and giggles, most of the coral looked unhappy and very freshly cut (with the exception of a few ones that had crusted over) even the toadstool looked angry and had no polyps extended. Then I noticed something on a Zoa rock, Aiptasia. After further looking around I noticed it had spread to multiple frag plugs, that and the blue tang they had in the tank was rubbing up against the egg crate, rocks, etc.

EVE00053.jpg EVE00068.jpg EVE00069.jpg EVE00056.jpg EVE00070.jpg
Awesome setup!!what size uv is that? And would mind posting more pics on how you set it up? I’m currently trying to figure out what’s size uv to get and how to set up on a 350. And where’d you get those power brick holders???

OP
OP
OsiViper

OsiViper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome setup!!what size uv is that? And would mind posting more pics on how you set it up? I’m currently trying to figure out what’s size uv to get and how to set up on a 350. And where’d you get those power brick holders???

It's a Aqua Ultraviolet 57 watt UV. It's plumbed with the return pump going through it and up to the tank, so all the flow goes through it. With my return flow rate and the size of the UV, I am getting around 120,000 µw/cm². Generally when you plumb a UV sterilizer to have all the tanks flow, it's just setup to clarify the water, because there isn't enough contact time to kill pathogens like Ich. With mine, I went way oversized so it will work at both clarifying the water, as well as sterilization.

And I just designed and printed the power brick holders.

OP
OP
OsiViper

OsiViper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while since I posted an update. Have recently been dealing with an algae outbreak and trying to get it under control.. Recently got a par reading from the tank
EVE00010.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back