Ostreopsis Dinos?

FloridaReefer2023

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a cheap microscope and just wanted to verify that I have Ostreopsis Dinos? I know the photos aren‘t the best.. Background: I have been battling these jerks for months and they keep reeking havoc on my reef tank. I’ve done black outs, hydrogen peroxide, increased nitrates and phosphates, dosed beneficial bacteria (phytoplankton, Dr Tim’s waste away), copepods, siphoned them out more times than I count. Yet, they continue to come back. I’m going to try a UV sterilizer as my last ditch effort. I have a 65 gallon waterbox AIO. I would appreciate any recommendations for which UV sterilizer I should go for. I really don’t want drop a ton of money on the UV sterilizer but will consider it. Tank has been up for a year now and it’s been an absolute headache the past few months. Please help lol

IMG_0818.jpeg IMG_0816.jpeg IMG_0811.jpeg

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to see, but they could be. I got rid of what I think was Ostreo in two tanks. I did 3 day complete blackouts, and repeated them as required for about 4 months. I would turn the light on to feed the fish, then off again. This, on average, was three days of no light, with four days of light a week. The coral didn't seem to be bothered.
I also added a coralife turbo twist uv sterilizer to the 75 gallon, and haven't had dino since. The other tank is dino free from just the blackouts. Both tanks have been dino free for over two years now. Hope this helps, and don't give up!

OP
OP
FloridaReefer2023

FloridaReefer2023

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to see, but they could be. I got rid of what I think was Ostreo in two tanks. I did 3 day complete blackouts, and repeated them as required for about 4 months. I would turn the light on to feed the fish, then off again. This, on average, was three days of no light, with four days of light a week. The coral didn't seem to be bothered.
I also added a coralife turbo twist uv sterilizer to the 75 gallon, and haven't had dino since. The other tank is dino free from just the blackouts. Both tanks have been dino free for over two years now. Hope this helps, and don't give up!
Thanks for the response, Matt. I have done a total of 3 black outs. It always knocks them back quite a bit but in a day or two they start taking over. Do you know if that UV sterilizer is compatible with an AIO tank? Thanks!

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response, Matt. I have done a total of 3 black outs. It always knocks them back quite a bit but in a day or two they start taking over. Do you know if that UV sterilizer is compatible with an AIO tank? Thanks!
It requires a separate pump, tubing, and return nozzle, but it will probably fit somewhere. They make three sizes, and the smallest one might work. Getting the right size pump is important to have the proper water flow through it.

But there are also many people on here that have ideas ranging from dosing pods to adjusting nutrients, and they may also have ideas that can work.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 26 16.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 65 41.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 14.0%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 35 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 5.7%
Back