Ostreopsis

kathya0321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Ostreopsis Dino's, I've heard the only way to get rid of them is by using a UV Sterilizer. I bought a Mean Green Machine 9 watt that doesn't seem to be doing any good. I really would like some guidance on what to do and what UV Sterilizer that works and doesn't break the bank. I have a Red Sea Nano Max Peninsula 26 gallon, I am slowly raising my nitrates, todays reading 2.6, added copepods, dosing Microbacter 7 and Phytoplankton.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV sterilizers won't completely eliminate your algae problem(s) - they'll just prevent it from getting worse. When finally dealt with, they are great at keeping algae from getting out of hand - but they're not a silver bullet.

Upvote 0

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Ostreopsis Dino's, I've heard the only way to get rid of them is by using a UV Sterilizer. I bought a Mean Green Machine 9 watt that doesn't seem to be doing any good. I really would like some guidance on what to do and what UV Sterilizer that works and doesn't break the bank. I have a Red Sea Nano Max Peninsula 26 gallon, I am slowly raising my nitrates, todays reading 2.6, added copepods, dosing Microbacter 7 and Phytoplankton.

GKM UV units have a very poor track record for treating dinos. One good option would be an AquaUV 15 watt hang on unit paired with a pump like a Sicce Micra pump turned down a little. There are other cheaper units such as Jebao but they are a little more challenge to plumb on a small tank. Keep NO3 at 5-10 and PO4 0.06-0.12 if you can. continue to add biodiversity any way you can.

A properly sized, installed and flow provided UV should have Ostreopsis under control very quickly.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back