1   0   0
Amazing!

Atif

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought we would share our slice of reef with everyone here as we have been lurking for so long. :)

This tank is 12x4x2.5 with a 9x3x18" sump & replaces our 10ft. Tank has been wet for about 12 weeks but the first corals were transferred over about 10 weeks ago. All of the livestock came from our 10ft which had been running for 4yrs with a 18hr tear down / reset when we moved house 2yrs ago.
It was a bit of a mission to get everything timed with removing the 10ft & getting the 12ft inside. Holding tanks for fish & corals was another matter. All up it was all of August to tear down, install & get wet. After a hectic few months setting up, cleaning up, waiting for the Dino's to settle the tank is starting to take shape. Still have the tail end of the Dino's but another few weeks & they should be sorted.
We have a full build thread in our local forums so this will just show a condensed version lol. I do prattle on so if you like a good read, not sure if I'm allowed to post a link in here tho. This is a much larger forum & we would love to hear your thoughts & views about the build so far. We know it's a big tank so don't need to hear that anymore :) If you have any thoughts on what we did wrong, what we did right, what we could add, things we haven't thought of that would be great. The setup is nowhere near completed & still a very active build.

This is the 14ft stand we started with, 75 x 75 x 5mm SHS
Front beside wall.jpg

Stand was fully lined with MDF, then covered with 6mm white acrylic & all joins sealed with white silicone.
IMAG2507.jpg

The sump was the first piece of glass to turn up.
IMG_0484_zpsmfqsehg6.jpg

The next bit to turn up was the skimmer, a huge Bubble King 500 Internal
unpack 035.JPG

Once the stand was lined we married the sump, skimmer & stand
IMG_0578.JPG

The 10ft was dismantled over a couple of days, last pic ever taken of the 10ft
last tank pic.jpg

Ended up being the holding tank for a few weeks on the floor
IMAG0573.jpg

Moving day, long day but all went well taking the stand out of the garage & into the lounge.
IMAG0581.jpg

IMAG0582.jpg

IMAG2867.jpg

DT ready for pick up, 4hr round trip to pick up, & then the install
IMG_0585.JPG

IMG_0595.JPG

Back home
IMG_0606.JPG

In place ready to go
tank & sam.jpg

Filling & rock work
IMAG2913.jpg

IMAG2929.jpg

Started dropping corals in until the Dino's showed up
IMAG3019.jpg

Once the algae showed up I lost interest & started playing down below
Return pump controls mounted
IMAG3040.jpg

Trial fit of DIY reactors
IMAG3043.jpg

All power supply units mounted, Tunze plugs accessible which is a bonus
IMAG0312.jpg

PSU mounting.jpg

Wave maker controls mounted
Controller Mounting.jpg

The worst of the algae after being lazy & letting it get away
Dino\'s.jpg

That's about where we are up to now. The front electrical panel above is still a work in progress, it will be finished off in white acrylic to match the rest of the stand. The next week is back to finishing off the reactors, syphon out the last of the algae & then start moving our corals up from the frag sections in the sump.
So how are we looking to you? Thoughts, questions or ideas required :)
Very will don...!! Keep it up

TCFletch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you buy your tank? Is it acrylic or glass? I'm looking to buy an 8 footer that can be delivered to Boise Idaho.

Osama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is starphire glass front & back from All Glass Co or something like that ... I would look somewhere else next time around .. Oops am sorry I do not think the question was addressed to me.. My apologies

OP
OP
Synodontis

Synodontis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank is coming along really well looks great in person
Yeah!!! To say the least.
Absolutely just STUNNING!!
Awesome stuff Ken!
Very will don...!! Keep it up
Absolutely in awe of your dedication, patience, skill, and artistry. Good on you!
absolutely gorgeous
following with great interest Nice setup
Geez guys, thanks for the comments. Glad we are not the only one's who think it;s a pretty cool tank lol :)

Where did you buy your tank? Is it acrylic or glass? I'm looking to buy an 8 footer that can be delivered to Boise Idaho.
Our tank is all glass, 19mm base & 15mm everything else. It was built by Lee at Australian Aquariums, pretty sure he would make a tank for you but freight from Australia to Idaho would be a killer :rolleyes:

a little bit of pee just came out
Surly this by far the highest praise one could receive hahaha & the bestest comment so in this thread. :D

I've been pretty slack the last few weeks. I did start a job & even took a few pics but I can't remember what I was doing hahaha.
Re-joined the working ranks a couple of weeks earlier then planned so things will def slow down as week nights & weekends will be the only time I get to play in the tank. 7 months being an unemployed bum had it's advantages when installing a new tank lol. Told Jen I take no responsibility for the lounge room being invaded by hordes because I won't be playing on Xbox half the day. For some strange reason she didn't have a problem with this?
A few new additions have been made to the livestock since the last post. Dropped a Blue Assessor Basslet, a Gold Assessor Basslet, a Yellow Candy Hogfish & a couple of Luzon anthias. The first 3 are only about an inch long & finding them in the tank is an interesting exercise. It's nice to see them pop up behind a coral now & then when your not expecting it.
It's a public holiday here Tuesday so water change & do some tinkering Me thinks. Till then, Ta-ta for now. :)

OP
OP
Synodontis

Synodontis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pics of overflow and returns? Just curious to see.

Thanks

Don't have to many of the bit's up top sorry mate. This is the only pic I have before the acrylic went on.
Left to right...
Water change 32mm- Left return 32mm- Main drain 50mm- Backup drain 50mm- Right return 32mm, using Marine Sources bulkhead's.
IMAG2899.jpg

The water change pipe is both in & out, taps are located below in the cabinet. This pipe is "outside" the weir & the height is set to drain about 380Ltr's. The weir cover was cut longer then the actual weir to cover the W/C pipe & slots cut in the side of the weir at the same height as the W/C pipe. Doe's that make sense? :confused: The Loc-line on the returns is not glued as at that point I wasn't sure what I was doing there. The main drain is adjusted by tap from below at the sump. The backup drain is just a straight through piece of pipe in case the main drain becomes blocked. I want this one to make a noise so I know something needs attention lol.

W/C from the inlet side.
IMAG2953.jpg

Main drain tap & backup drain. You can see the outlet W/C heading right. The 2 pipes on an angle are the returns, each return is hooked up to it's own RD3 65w pump.
IMAG2954.jpg

Hope that gives you an idea of how it works lol :)

PANONHAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't have to many of the bit's up top sorry mate. This is the only pic I have before the acrylic went on.
Left to right...
Water change 32mm- Left return 32mm- Main drain 50mm- Backup drain 50mm- Right return 32mm, using Marine Sources bulkhead's.
IMAG2899.jpg

The water change pipe is both in & out, taps are located below in the cabinet. This pipe is "outside" the weir & the height is set to drain about 380Ltr's. The weir cover was cut longer then the actual weir to cover the W/C pipe & slots cut in the side of the weir at the same height as the W/C pipe. Doe's that make sense? :confused: The Loc-line on the returns is not glued as at that point I wasn't sure what I was doing there. The main drain is adjusted by tap from below at the sump. The backup drain is just a straight through piece of pipe in case the main drain becomes blocked. I want this one to make a noise so I know something needs attention lol.

W/C from the inlet side.
IMAG2953.jpg

Main drain tap & backup drain. You can see the outlet W/C heading right. The 2 pipes on an angle are the returns, each return is hooked up to it's own RD3 65w pump.
IMAG2954.jpg

Hope that gives you an idea of how it works lol :)

that is very ingenious. quite the setup. Amazing tank ! good luck with it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back