Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9114.jpeg
IMG_9113.jpeg
IMG_9112.jpeg
IMG_9111.jpeg

6 MONTH UPDATE - So far so good. Let’s start with parameters
Salinity 35ppt -learned you better calibrate that refractometer
pH 8.1- calibrate that probe too (theme??)
Total Alk- 7.8-8.2
Calcium-440
Mag-1300ish
NO3-8.1 been within 5 pts for 3 months
PO4-.04 been within .03 for 3 months
We love our Reefi Uno 2.0 lights Learning more everyday with Hydros 10
Biggest lessons learned
-Go slow with corals. You will know when you’re ready for SPS. And when you are go with @Battlecorals (see the 1 week old fuzzy as F millis in the pics)
-Set up a QT tank
-Don’t drink and coral shop.
We have truly fallen in love with this hobby!
-
"Don't drink and coral shop" is my favorite quote!!

Thanks for the update on your tank Kevin.

We just got back from Belize and unfortunately o leave for a 3-day trip today (airline pilot).

Water being delivered on 3 May and I am setting my QT tank up next week as well. I haven't completed my Mixing station yet (four sets of company in 35 days and a 10-day dive trip will do that to your well-intentioned plans!!).

I've had all sorts of problems going from this metric to imperial PVC sizes, but I finally got it licked. Leak-tested and everything seems good so far, but won't know for sure until I get the return pushing out water with the tank full. I'm feeling pretty good about it.

Still doing a lot of the behind-the-scenes work in the pantry/operations center for the tank. Wife still not too happy about how much stuff is in "her" pantry...lol.

I'll update next week when I get this thing legitimately up and going. Excited and terrified all at the same time… Lol.

afternoondelight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9114.jpeg
IMG_9113.jpeg
IMG_9112.jpeg
IMG_9111.jpeg

6 MONTH UPDATE - So far so good. Let’s start with parameters
Salinity 35ppt -learned you better calibrate that refractometer
pH 8.1- calibrate that probe too (theme??)
Total Alk- 7.8-8.2
Calcium-440
Mag-1300ish
NO3-8.1 been within 5 pts for 3 months
PO4-.04 been within .03 for 3 months
We love our Reefi Uno 2.0 lights Learning more everyday with Hydros 10
Biggest lessons learned
-Go slow with corals. You will know when you’re ready for SPS. And when you are go with @Battlecorals (see the 1 week old fuzzy as F millis in the pics)
-Set up a QT tank
-Don’t drink and coral shop.
We have truly fallen in love with this hobby!
-
Kevin...did you QT (observe) your fish (and inverts) or did you prophylactically treat/QT them?? Just wondering what I'm going to do... I will at the very least QT and observe, but I'm not sure because of my job and the fact that I'm gone three days at a time that I can effectively treat them and keep the copper levels at the proper levels… If you understand what I'm saying? I know that doing a full-blown prophylactic treatment is the safest bet, but not sure that's the route I am going to go just because of pure practicability.

OP
OP
Kevinmj70

Kevinmj70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kevin...did you QT (observe) your fish (and inverts) or did you prophylactically treat/QT them?? Just wondering what I'm going to do... I will at the very least QT and observe, but I'm not sure because of my job and the fact that I'm gone three days at a time that I can effectively treat them and keep the copper levels at the proper levels… If you understand what I'm saying? I know that doing a full-blown prophylactic treatment is the safest bet, but not sure that's the route I am going to go just because of pure practicability.
We have a QT tank but have not used it yet. We had a close call with a fish that we were told was QT’d so decided to do it here. Right now on pause for new fish because traveling to for a few weeks. With all that I think QT is very fish species specific. Check out Humble Fish forum for some really good protocols .

OP
OP
Kevinmj70

Kevinmj70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Don't drink and coral shop" is my favorite quote!!

Thanks for the update on your tank Kevin.

We just got back from Belize and unfortunately o leave for a 3-day trip today (airline pilot).

Water being delivered on 3 May and I am setting my QT tank up next week as well. I haven't completed my Mixing station yet (four sets of company in 35 days and a 10-day dive trip will do that to your well-intentioned plans!!).

I've had all sorts of problems going from this metric to imperial PVC sizes, but I finally got it licked. Leak-tested and everything seems good so far, but won't know for sure until I get the return pushing out water with the tank full. I'm feeling pretty good about it.

Still doing a lot of the behind-the-scenes work in the pantry/operations center for the tank. Wife still not too happy about how much stuff is in "her" pantry...lol.

I'll update next week when I get this thing legitimately up and going. Excited and terrified all at the same time… Lol.
Sounds like a lot going on. I hope your trip to Belize went well.
I might have missed it but what is your plan for cycling your tank? Do you have your rock cycling now?

afternoondelight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a lot going on. I hope your trip to Belize went well.
I might have missed it but what is your plan for cycling your tank? Do you have your rock cycling now?
Yeah… I had a plumbing snafu so I didn't get the water cycling before we left. I'm going to start it up this Friday. We got home from Belize on Sunday night/early Monday morning and I'm already on a three day airline trip and won't be home until Thursday night. I'm pretty bitter about missing out on having 10 free days of being gone and cycling my tank, but it is what it is.

Belize was awesome!

IMG_7893.jpeg IMG_9142.jpeg

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 51 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.0%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 49 24.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 49 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back