Our Lighting comparison ATI t5 sunPower/Hydra 26 HD's

Who is using LED's? and Who is using T5's?

• Total voters

jepp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This at the high point
image.png

can u share the light schedule
are you looking for the upload of the settings?

yes i am

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently cut back on my light intensity and duration due to some acros lightening up on me. I was ramping up the light too fast after I received a shipment of coral back in May. This makes me realizes that T5 can bleach corals just as good as LED.

While a good light is important, there are other main factors that help grow a reef i.e. nutrients and flow. I think my flow could improve, but that's an entirely different thread.

I'm not convinced any light is better than another as long as it is powerful enough to require it being ramped down to acclimate your corals and then ramped up with patience and time/

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Through several posts and discussions here I came up w/ a game plan (and it's working!).

I cut my max photoperiod to 6 hours a day.
2 x actinics ramp up for an hour, stay at 40% for 7 hours, then ramp back down for an hour
3 x blue +, 1 x purple + ramp up for an hour, stay at 25% for 6 hours, then ramp back down for an hour
Once colors return, begin ramping up by 2% a week

Right now I am seeing some return of colors to my SPS and LPS that were paling out. Staying patient is the hard part. Maybe in a month or so I can start the ramp up process again

G8trBait16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jsker I decided to go ahead and buy the ATI dimmable 8 x 54w T5 Fixture. I am going to keep my hydra 52 HD's, but wanted to try out t5's on my 75g. They should be delivered on Monday. The bulb selection I also got is 4 blue plus, 2 purple plus, 1 ATI actinic and 1 coral plus. @john.m.cole3 might need your guidance since I have never used T5's before and I am going from 2 52 HD's to an 8 bulb ATI dimmable unit. :)

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jsker I decided to go ahead and buy the ATI dimmable 8 x 54w T5 Fixture. I am going to keep my hydra 52 HD's, but wanted to try out t5's on my 75g. They should be delivered on Monday. The bulb selection I also got is 4 blue plus, 2 purple plus, 1 ATI actinic and 1 coral plus. @john.m.cole3 might need your guidance since I have never used T5's before and I am going from 2 52 HD's to an 8 bulb ATI dimmable unit. :)
I'll do what I can. That is an insane fixture for a 75!

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes @john.m.cole3 has more experience with the new T5 lamps then I. In the past when I used the older t12 lamps I would have my actinic lamb come on first the the white 4 hr after and the same when I ramped down, As usual the system I used in the past were DIY and I used appliance times. That has been a few years.

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would share...
Here is my old 55 with t5s. (Ran for a few years)
IMG_8505[1].JPG

Then I upgraded to my 220 with (3) 400w MH. (Ran for a couple years)
IMG_6170.JPG

Then I changed to (3) AI Hydra 52HD. (Ran for about ten months)
IMG_8513[2].JPG

Currently I am adding (2) 24" two bulb fixtures to my Hydras. One fixture is done waiting for the other. I will post some updates and pics when the LED/T5 combo has been running for a while. Any who here is a picture I took yesterday with one T5 fixture with my Hydras...
IMG_8561[1].JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dan McNertney the tank look great. Please keep us posted, I am interested in the results to see the difference. I have seen a few reefer setting up there lighting the a combo of t5's and LED with good results.

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I figured I might as well get the 8 bulb unit, being it is a SPS/Acro Dominated tank and it will be large enough for future tank builds.
I was thinking like you in regards to buying this fixture (and skimmer) to be used now and for an upgrade down the road. Do you have the fixture and all of the bulbs in your possession? you will need to break in all of your bulbs for 50 hours before you start dimming them. I would do that in a separate room or at least NOT on the tank. you will have 2 channels. Channel 1 has 2 bulbs and channel 2 has the remaining 6. I would use channel 1 as my ramp sunrise/sunset channel w/ the actinic and a blue or purple to compliment it. Do some research and decide what you want your max photoperiod to be. I chose 6 as you have read above.

How long has the tank been running on LED?

G8trBait16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking like you in regards to buying this fixture (and skimmer) to be used now and for an upgrade down the road. Do you have the fixture and all of the bulbs in your possession? you will need to break in all of your bulbs for 50 hours before you start dimming them. I would do that in a separate room or at least NOT on the tank. you will have 2 channels. Channel 1 has 2 bulbs and channel 2 has the remaining 6. I would use channel 1 as my ramp sunrise/sunset channel w/ the actinic and a blue or purple to compliment it. Do some research and decide what you want your max photoperiod to be. I chose 6 as you have read above.

How long has the tank been running on LED?
I has been running on the Hydra's for about 8 or 9 months. Right now when the LED's they come on at 9am ramp up 2.5 hours then start ramping down at 630pm and off at 9pm. I heard about the break in period, I will be doing that in my office, so it is far away from my tank. The fixture and the bulbs will be delivered to my house on Monday the 12th. The you john, I will definitely be reading more into the photo period. Below is what my tank looks like right now and below that is the built in (old wine bar) where I have it. I was going to go with the retrofit kit, but my fiancée wants the clean lines and I couldn't get that with the retro kit. Especially since it doesn't have a way to hide them.
8-28-16.jpg

full tank.jpg

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I has been running on the Hydra's for about 8 or 9 months. Right now when the LED's they come on at 9am ramp up 2.5 hours then start ramping down at 630pm and off at 9pm. I heard about the break in period, I will be doing that in my office, so it is far away from my tank. The fixture and the bulbs will be delivered to my house on Monday the 12th. The you john, I will definitely be reading more into the photo period. Below is what my tank looks like right now and below that is the built in (old wine bar) where I have it. I was going to go with the retrofit kit, but my fiancée wants the clean lines and I couldn't get that with the retro kit. Especially since it doesn't have a way to hide them.
8-28-16.jpg

full tank.jpg
What is the distance from your water line to the top of the enclosure/canopy? How do you plan on mounting the T5 fixture?

G8trBait16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the distance from your water line to the top of the enclosure/canopy? How do you plan on mounting the T5 fixture?
I am going to hang it as well. From the bottom of the shelf to the water line is about 11.5", my LED's are about 9" from the water line right now.

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to hang it as well. From the bottom of the shelf to the water line is about 11.5", my LED's are about 9" from the water line right now.
let me go home real quick and take some pics of potential issues that may arise. It has to do with the hanging kit ATI provides. I'll take some measurements as well so you are as prepared as possible.

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's start with the facts. The way a TI hangs there light fixture you'll probably have eight and a quarter inches from the top of your canopy to the bottom of the fixture
20160908_121635.jpg
20160908_121640.jpg
20160908_121804.jpg

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8-28-16.jpg

full tank.jpg
Can the shelves be moved if you need more space? You can always bring them down to our warehouse and I can cut the middle vertical supports down on my table saw.

G8trBait16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow, so I will need to drill/cut a hole in the shelf or take it out completely so I will be able to raise it up higher. What is the recommended height off of the water line for T5's. Thank you so much, for the very helpful information.

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it 11.5" from the top of canopy to water line or top of tank (trim)?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.3%
Back