Who says I can't get a bunch of tang in my 42 gallon reef tank?

kodak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be willing to state that YouTube is FOS.

Folks on a hobby forum are, by and large, trying to share information and do so for the benefit of the hobby and for the object of the hobby (here, fish and corals and such). Forums are specifically designed to be structured to do this well -- everyone can contribute equally; claims can be rebutted; evidence from other sources (other forums, journal articles, reports of personal experiences, photos, etc) can be brought to bear on discussions; each and every claim can be tagged by any other forum user with a somewhat precise reaction (the emojis), and these individual and precise-ish tags are archived with the post they refer to. Forums are an information sharing network. The algorithm feeding users content on a forum is 'new content'; there is also a search tool that simply searches keywords (maybe ranked by some combination of post date/popularity/keyword frequency). Also, moderators keep out the majority of trolls and bots, and others are publicly if sometimes subtly flagged by regular users.

Folks posting videos on YouTube are, by and large, trying to get views. They do so for all sorts of reasons. Views come not only from accurate or wise information (and this only rarely, and not by design), but also from wild or contentious or flashy (high production values make patent BS a lot more palatable) or conspiracy-supporting or fashionable or generally 'clickbait-y' content. The specific claims in videos cannot, for all practical purposes, be rebutted -- because comments sections are chaotic in general, because video posters are not expected to reply, and because repliers don't have the same status as content posters . The extent of the archived tags that can be added are to the video as a whole, and not to specific claims, and these are only 'yea' or 'nay'. YouTube is not a network of users, it is a series of megaphones given only to certain people who use them to yell at the audience. The algorithm feeding users content is designed to play into the worst aspects of human psychology, and also to get the user to view more videos regardless of the merit of those videos. Trolls and bots are not removed from the comments.

Forums are for sharing information. YouTube is for entertainment.
it's sad that every single comment on the video are supportive

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Folks on a hobby forum are, by and large, trying to share information and do so for the benefit of the hobby and for the object of the hobby (here, fish and corals and such). Forums are specifically designed to be structured to do this well -- everyone can contribute equally; claims can be rebutted; evidence from other sources (other forums, journal articles, reports of personal experiences, photos, etc) can be brought to bear on discussions; each and every claim can be tagged by any other forum user with a somewhat precise reaction (the emojis), and these individual and precise-ish tags are archived with the post they refer to. Forums are an information sharing network. The algorithm feeding users content on a forum is 'new content'; there is also a search tool that simply searches keywords (maybe ranked by some combination of post date/popularity/keyword frequency). Also, moderators keep out the majority of trolls and bots, and others are publicly if sometimes subtly flagged by regular users.

Folks posting videos on YouTube are, by and large, trying to get views. They do so for all sorts of reasons. Views come not only from accurate or wise information (and this only rarely, and not by design), but also from wild or contentious or flashy (high production values make patent BS a lot more palatable) or conspiracy-supporting or fashionable or generally 'clickbait-y' content. The specific claims in videos cannot, for all practical purposes, be rebutted -- because comments sections are chaotic in general, because video posters are not expected to reply, and because repliers don't have the same status as content posters . The extent of the archived tags that can be added are to the video as a whole, and not to specific claims, and these are only 'yea' or 'nay'. YouTube is not a network of users, it is a series of megaphones given only to certain people who use them to yell at the audience. The algorithm feeding users content is designed to play into the worst aspects of human psychology, and also to get the user to view more videos regardless of the merit of those videos. Trolls and bots are not removed from the comments.

True for a lot, but not for all. YouTube feeds you more of what you watch. This tank was probably put together for views though, or it was a temporary situation.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1. Yep. I'm only gonna have one tang in my 90. And it's gonna be one of the smaller variety.
I have had a purple tang in a 75 gallon for over five years now. It’s about 3 1/2” long. Probably not the norm, but it worked out in my case.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did not know that Tangs get up to 24". I have never seen one large like that even in the display tanks (not for sale fish) at some LFS.

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did not know that Tangs get up to 24". I have never seen one large like that even in the display tanks (not for sale fish) at some LFS.
Because any good LFS knows they need massive tanks for those tangs and will not keep them. Some of the Blue Hippos in my local LFS look like footballs, but they are in massive lagoons

mdpitts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That was a great take on the differences. In my opinion you have to do the diligence on YouTube to find the reputable/knowledgeable channels because they are there. I watched the video starting this thread and I don't feel like that guy misrepresented anything at all. He never said what his intention was for the long term of that tank and he sounded like a down to earth kind of guy. I promise I'm not trying to be argumentative but I don't think it's good to generalize YouTube as people who are just trying to get something out of it. I know you were trying to make a point. I know I've sure learned an Oxford library full of info both on here and on YouTube.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do you! If thats what you want to try try it. Most of us will tell you its not going to work out for very long. But people like to hear what they want to hear so.....

I just watched a youtube video on how to start a reef tank. The "utuber" stated that waiting out the cycle was a waste of time she put 2 damsels, some dry rock, dry sand, an elegance coral, and some gsp in the tank day 1. She wondered why a damsel and the elegance died with in the first 3 weeks. But now all parameters are good so in went more fish and a new elegance. And thats the way you do it!!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean this guy is done it. He's got a beautiful tank breaking all the rules and no sea gods or reef Gods are striking him dead.
Who can count the number of fish, I mean, good size fish not just tiny gobies and this is what some would consider a nano tank?

Wow thats actually AWFUL. Six foot tank minimum is best for tangs especially in multiples. I feel so had for all those tangs in there, they are so stressed. Easy to tell with how they are swimming.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so are people here willing to stipulate that that YouTuber is FOS? Because I'm new at this and just learning

"Stipulate"? You sound like a lawyer! ;)

Based on what I see in the video, this tank is established. Look closely and you will see things like Coraline, which doesn't happen overnight. So I don't think this tank was set up for the video.

My approach to selecting fish for my tanks includes several boxes to be checked. Among those boxes are something I call "swimming pattern".

Some fish are horizontal swimmers and you can get by with a long tank that is only 16 inches in depth.

But other fish are vertical swimmers. While the tank need not be long, it certainly needs to be tall.

From what I've seen with Tangs and FoxFace, they are horizontal swimmers. I don't think a tank that size is a good choice for a Tang.

kodak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thats actually AWFUL. Six foot tank minimum is best for tangs. I feel so had for all those tangs in there, they are so stressed.
lets just pray that they got rehomed soon after

Mwatts12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 140 gallon with 4 tangs. I thought at the time it was plenty large enough. A lot of people do the same.

When I upgraded to a 225 gallon (72x36x20). I bought a couple more tangs.

Then they all grew very large and are all 5 ish years old.

Now I see how much room they need and actually deserve. I take rock out of my display and put it in the sump just for more room for them. Then there is the balance so they have there caves.

It’s just a question of where your morale compass is. There is someone on here with a naso in a 90gallon. To me that is evil, my naso is 9 inches and probably too small for my tank.

My .2. God bless

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opps sorry I am at work must have hit reply by accident before I was done.

You got to take what a lot of "utubers" say with a grain of salt so to say. Not all are bad but alot are or dont give you the whole picture. Thats bad for newbs. Forums are better but even then you need to get a few ideas and see what the majority says is right thats probably the best info unless you get one of the gurus.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 140 gallon with 4 tangs. I thought at the time it was plenty large enough. A lot of people do the same.

When I upgraded to a 225 gallon (72x36x20). I bought a couple more tangs.

Then they all grew very large and are all 5 ish years old.

Now I see how much room they need and actually deserve. I take rock out of my display and put it in the sump just for more room for them. Then there is the balance so they have there caves.

It’s just a question of where your morale compass is. There is someone on here with a naso in a 90gallon. To me that is evil, my naso is 9 inches and probably too small for my tank.

My .2. God bless
Agree, almost all the tangs stores sell are juveniles. Im currently looking for a bigger tank to upgrade my 125 from as my fish grow. I love Gemma, my 4 inch naso. I wasnt meant to have her long as I was just caring for her temporarily for someone but long story short shes now mine. Moved her to my 125 six foot. Much happier in there but Im looking for a bigger tank so I can keep her as she gets to her adult size! My LFS has two adult nasos like her and they are stunning but freaking massive!

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's sad that every single comment on the video are supportive

It's a beautiful looking tank and most of the comments are probably not from people with much or any experience in this hobby.
It is sad though because we end up with people watching and thinking it's OK to try and replicate the youtubers and then they set up a tank and come here asking why all of thier fish are dying and the tank if full of algae

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last thing. Blue tangs (Dory) get massive. I don’t think people realize that. Just want the pretty tang.

Again. Bought mine at maybe Geeze 2.5 inches and now not only 6-7 inches but a girthy ol girl.

They need room!
Yeah! They are so tiny and cute in the stores. My boy was under an inch when I got him. He is now 3 or so inches! Beautiful fish. Im excited to get him a bigger tank and grow him out to the size of a football!

RockRash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lets just pray that they got rehomed soon after
Like I sad earlier, he does/ did the YouTube videos for a rather large lfs in socal called the reef lounge. So he had/ has access to very large tanks to move them. I'm not saying he should or shouldn't have put them in their just he did have plenty of options to move or rehome.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 79 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.7%
Back