Our member PSXerholic is getting hit pretty hard!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This may be shared here somewhere but just in case I wanted to share it. @PSXerholic lives in Houston and his house has gotten flooded from the recent hurricane. Prayers and love for him and all those affected by this storm. He and his family are safe, in the house and honestly in awesome spirits considering! They are staying upstairs.

Here are some photos from his Facebook. He ran his tank on a generator but now they have power back on. Look at the water rising on his tank!

21192479_1921437014847122_5513116229717163730_n.jpg

21151510_1921247418199415_526538993355155512_n.jpg

21078389_1921375748186582_362921478171267022_n.jpg

21078610_1921231361534354_6386888144743756939_n.jpg

21106317_1921896198134537_804068049261361359_n.jpg

Vince57

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't image what you've been through, heartfelt prayers to you, and your family, along with the rest of the Houston Metro.

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow that sucks. Sorry you have to go through this. Sorry you will have a lot of work ahead of you.

I'm a mold professional so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Once you remove a 4 feet of drywall around the entire lower part of the house from the floor up. It will take a long time to dry it out. I assume that you don't have pink or blue treated wood so you'll need extra dry time. if your electrical outlets are under water I suggest replacing them because the water will take a long time to dry on the inside plus corrosion so easier to just replace. you can save the rings or covers and reuse but you may need new screws if the paint comes of them. I would just spray paint them if that happens.

It's going to be warm in your house while running dehumidifiers in the house so you might want to get a chiller for the tank to offset the heat temporarily.
Just take the time to dry it out and don't rush it if you do you will get mold in your house by sealing the walls up. you most likely will get some condensation driven mold on walls and not realize it so your going to want to clean everything, walls ceilings, and floors as well as the rest of the items in house.

The problem is that the standing water really soaks into the slab, wood framing, concrete block, and everything else.

Also its already wet so taking a day to get multiple quotes or speak with insurance is worth it. I would buy a good moisture meter and test for your self during the drying process even though the company that dries you out will be checking. Flooded houses are different than having a pipe blow and its dried out right away. Be diligent in making sure everything is dry so you don't get mold.

Like I said I will help if I can.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Andre and his fam are in good spirit for sure, as many left their houses in their neighborhood he never would leave his tank. thank God for second stories.
When water recedes Diesel will make his way out there as there is now way other than by boat to come to his house.
We will make a plan of attack as the tank in current situation needs to be removed or moved off the floor, sheetrock needs to be cut out at least 5' high and electrical wires and outlets needs to be replaced.
Wish I still had the fragroom as it would be packed by now as many Houstonians are going to similar facts.

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow that sucks. Sorry you have to go through this. Sorry you will have a lot of work ahead of you.

I'm a mold professional so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Once you remove a 4 feet of drywall around the entire lower part of the house from the floor up. It will take a long time to dry it out. I assume that you don't have pink or blue treated wood so you'll need extra dry time. if your electrical outlets are under water I suggest replacing them because the water will take a long time to dry on the inside plus corrosion so easier to just replace. you can save the rings or covers and reuse but you may need new screws if the paint comes of them. I would just spray paint them if that happens.

It's going to be warm in your house while running dehumidifiers in the house so you might want to get a chiller for the tank to offset the heat temporarily.
Just take the time to dry it out and don't rush it if you do you will get mold in your house by sealing the walls up. you most likely will get some condensation driven mold on walls and not realize it so your going to want to clean everything, walls ceilings, and floors as well as the rest of the items in house.

The problem is that the standing water really soaks into the slab, wood framing, concrete block, and everything else.

Also its already wet so taking a day to get multiple quotes or speak with insurance is worth it. I would buy a good moisture meter and test for your self during the drying process even though the company that dries you out will be checking. Flooded houses are different than having a pipe blow and its dried out right away. Be diligent in making sure everything is dry so you don't get mold.

Like I said I will help if I can.

This is great info !!!!
Thx a lot.

Feel free to share more info, I know a few other affected reefer are watching this as well ;-)

Andre

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx for all the mental support over the last 48 hours.

That sort of kept me running

That was hard and exhausting and I'm happy that the hard work paid out.

My prayer and thought are with those who were not that lucky which I know a few who were not that fortune to have even a chance.

I was mentally prepared to run the main tank surrounded by water which was luckily not the case !!!

Happy Reefing to you guys and thx a lot, seems somebody heard your prayers

Follow the pictures on Facebook if interested since I have very limited online access.
Tank is back running on the sump system with calcium reactor on thumb settings (its good to know your tank).

Corals did do awesome guess the fresh amount of saltwater when I brought the sump back on, did harm the Corals more then the stress the 24 hours before that ;-)

So key elements are running in manual mode, no APEX.

Lot of cleanup work to do tomorrow but wanted to say thank you to everyone for the prayers and good wishes sent !!!!!

Andre

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great info !!!!
Thx a lot.

Feel free to share more info, I know a few other affected reefer are watching this as well ;-)

Andre
Andre our thoughts and prayers are with you and all other Texans and Louisianans going through this
Due to a Duh moment I lost 6 fish yesterday but it is nothing compared to what you guys are going through

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4317.JPG
IMG_4316.JPG
Here is a picture of the tank.
Everything is running on a GFCI, just triggered the outlet once ;-)

Dang .......

This was the first time my wife did not say anything when the RODI water spilled over the bottle since I forgot about it as always ;-)

Andre

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang .......

This was the first time my wife did not say anything when the RODI water spilled over the bottle since I forgot about it as always ;-)

Thoughts are with all of you! This gave me a little giggle, I think a sense of humor goes a long way. Stay strong!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Praying for you, man, and for all of you guys affected by Harvey! This has been absolutely terrible. Hoping for a speedy rebuild for all those affected (and giving what I can to help make it possible).

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back