!*!*!*!*! Hobbyist helping Hobbyist !*!*!*!*!

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friends on R2R, words can't explain how some of our hobbyist are hit by Harvey and still we have rising water in Houston for a while.
Many ppl here on R2R know me pretty well and I have done together with many reefers here and especially the #reefsquad great things for ppl in need and always will do that.
I'm starting this thread for anyone who wants to be part of a great effort to help our hobbyist who lost their tank or had damage on their system cause of Harvey.
We started this in Houston but our Boss here @revhtree was in 100% support to spread the word on the worlds largest and most visit Reef site, David you are a GOOD SIR!!
That said I'm contacting local sponsors but I want to reach out as well to all the sponsors on R2R.
What my game plan is to raise as much as possible funds and of course any Dollar will help.
We want to organize this into a event at one of our LFS in Houston that we will raffle off equipment that is donated by the sponsors of R2R and LFS.
Money is great but a pump, light, salt, fishfood, coral pack or fish, maybe a CUC and we have one who does T-shirys on R2R here, anything will help.
Ppl who donate will get a ticket with a # and every $10 is a ticket.
We will raffle off the items donated by our sponsors, we still looking for a date of course but we need to discuss that with a LFS in Houston.
Water is still high in a lot of areas but once this will recede on us I will head out and visit out LFS and ppl that are hit, and yes I don't mind to make my way to rockport, corpus and all other cities to document how bad our fellow hobbyist are hit.
This isn't only for our friends in Houston but we have them in Corpus, Rockport, Houston, Beaumont and many more cities and towns.
They money raised will go towards a Ferrari for me and my buddy to visit those that are hit hard and tell them to hang in there :p LOL!!
Anybody that knows me knows also my style of jokes ;)
Of course the funds raised is going toward our hobbyist who are hit and it will or need to used to rebuild the system when they feel like it.
If and I say if we have money left over I would like to make that public and ask everyone and each one here and on our local forum to find a cause we can donate that too.
This is costing me and my buddy a lot of time and effort to get this going I have good help from a good friend in Houston Josh @aquaman30k.and Toni @Tsev03
We still looking for volunteers that can help us to spread the word, maybe your LFS in city/town you live and their name will be announced.
I'm also working with the local media to have this broadcast, of course they have their hands full as we speak but I'm positive that I can get something going.
Pretty sure I have missed something as there is a lot going through my mind of course and my phone is already going nuts.
Hope to have a lot of support from the sponsors on here and all the members.
I'm already thankful to R2R and Team R2R for me posting this and each person who's part of R2R.
The support in the last couple of days was over whelming.
here are a few threads that was started and I must say just a word of wisdom was enough for the hobbyist that were affected by this unprecedented event from Harvey.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/texas-gulf-coast-reefers-harvey-is-coming-for-your-tanks.321995/

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/harvey.322023/

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/o...-getting-hit-pretty-hard.322824/#post-3999849

The gofundme is https://www.gofundme.com/hobbyist-helping-hobbyist for anyone who wants to donate.

If there are more please copy them in a post.
Thank you and God Bless y'all.

Ben

Last edited:
OP
OP
Diesel

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received some messages already from ppl that want to donate the items for that they have for sale in the For Sale forum.
I have a idea but of course I can't make that decision and for that that I'm asking #teamR2R,
If they post it in here and any funds raised by selling them for the "HHH" will go towards the fundraiser.
I know it's a shot in the dark but any suggestions from the Team we are open to that.

chrfrancis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just like to chime in. This is a hard time for a lot of Houstonians, especially those who have been through multiple storms in our city. We appreciate all of the thoughts and prayers that are coming in from around the country and globe. I believe I speak for the entire Board of Directors for the Houston Reef Club, MARSH, when I say 'Thank you everyone'.

MARSH has been working with Diesel to help with this effort and will continue to do so. As I have already mentioned to Diesel, I am here to help.

Thanks,
Chris Francis
MARSH BoD

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great. What would also be good is a posting when people are starting to get back in their homes and get their tanks back up. I would be happy to send some frags and equipment to affected reefers but I know they won't be ready for that sort of help for weeks or months.

OP
OP
Diesel

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great. What would also be good is a posting when people are starting to get back in their homes and get their tanks back up. I would be happy to send some frags and equipment to affected reefers but I know they won't be ready for that sort of help for weeks or months.

You Ma'am are a Blessing already.
I'll keep you in the loop for sure as this will be awesome.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Diesel

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm so sorry for that but I got it correct as well and we all good again.

OP
OP
Diesel

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok donations are rolling in.
I have word from Coralvue that they will donate in the form of equipment, Chris Conti is one of these guys that understand this hobby, we talk about the hobby but also we discuss random things out the hobby a true friend for life.
Also RR USA came through to auction off a frag pack, I know Tony now for 5 years and I'm a one of the RR USA guys behind the scene when we do a livesale, that's my time in return for the awesome things RR USA give back to the community again .
LRS Frency Foods came through with 10 food packs and for the hobbyist who don't know Larry Dupont, check out this video and you will never buy another food again for your tank. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/mr...before.312784/
Larry already donated $250 from his fun money into a gofund for the Houston area, thank you Larry and LRS.

There will be more of these awesome vendors but this is just a start.

OP
OP
Diesel

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Count Reef Pets in for auctioning off a frag pack

OMG, thank you so much Gary.

Of course I need to get with the BIG Boss @revhtree for approval for who wants to auction off, of course I understand you guys can do it on your own sponsor page.
But could we post a link from that in here, just want to follow forum rules.

OP
OP
Diesel

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following, for when this is ready, Ill ship equipment, money, whatever is needed for this, as the wife and I are already donating to various non reefing organizations as well.

You Sir are always ready to help, hope one day to shake your hand.
Awesome, thank you.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bare with me guys, I'm almost home to post updates.
I've been busy hauling rescued ppl back to there homes to check on their homes
Man.
We are here when you are ready.
Just keep you, your family, and community safe.

God bless all people in TX and all their strength.

OP
OP
Diesel

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude I'm telling you, I've seen a lot.
I was a Pro FireFighter in Amsterdam and I was also on standby on the dive team.
We had once a flood in '94 that put a whole village under water up to roof tops.
We had to go door to door 16' under water to pull ppl out that drowned, I still see the expressions on these drowned ppl faces :( no wonder I sleep only 4hrs a day, if I'm lucky.
Been to several floods in the Houston area but this one tops it all, today I offered myself to get ppl out of neighborhoods to bring them to stores to buy food and shuttle them back in their neighborhoods cause they just don't want to leave their homes.
Estimated rainfall is up from 3 days ago 9 trillion gallons to 20+ trillion gallons, enough to supply New York city for one year of water.
They will also estimate a loss of cars up to 600.000.
I think they were talking about a total estimated damage of 39 billion dollars.
Any ways I'm on my soap box and I'm just exhausted.
This is Texas and we ARE TEXAS STRONG!!

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had a huge crash and lost all the acro colonies but I still have some nice lps and monti's that I can donate when people are ready. I will also donate some cash. I would donate equipment but I reused all of my extra equipment on additional tanks that I set up [emoji12] I do have a sunpak mh unit. It's VERY heavy so shipping from FL to TX might be quite expensive therefore I will try to sell it locally and donate the cash.

I love your idea!

OP
OP
Diesel

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had a huge crash and lost all the acro colonies but I still have some nice lps and monti's that I can donate when people are ready. I will also donate some cash. I would donate equipment but I reused all of my extra equipment on additional tanks that I set up [emoji12] I do have a sunpak mh unit. It's VERY heavy so shipping from FL to TX might be quite expensive therefore I will try to sell it locally and donate the cash.

I love your idea!

Every little thing helps, I'm not a JJ.Watt that makes a selfie video and ask his fans to raise $200K but ends up 4 days later with $12.5 mil I believe it's now.
I'm just that little guy that sometimes gives more love to others than himself.
I've seen ppl sitting on a curb waiting for someone to take them to a rescue center with only a small back pack.
When I stopped and ask them if they want a ride (stupid question) the gentleman said yes please let me get my family.
When he showed up with his wife and two small children it really struck me, even more when I ask them where their other belongs were as there must be more than just a small back pack and the dad started to cry and needed at least 2 minutes to get to himself and told me "sir, that's it, just one back pack) and all what was in there was some medicine and paper work in ziplock bags.
When we drove out on our way to one of the local HS he started to cry again and kept saying sorry for messing up my nice truck with his wet clothes, I had no words other than when I dropped him off I handed him $100 and told him God knows what he's doing, trust me, and I left cause I didn't want to show him my tears.
Yes I know it's 2.30 in the morning and in 2.5 hrs it's again crack at dawn and the dogs need their walk as well, but I'm glad that I can do this for other ppl.
As my dad always said "the zero's can make 1 number pretty big"

Anyways, tomorrow I will start to organize and will see if we can get these two auction started in the sponsor area, I have a few volunteers that can keep a eye out and help R2R to manage that thread and ppl sticking to the forum rules.
Also I will post up the link that ppl can donate and just $1 will work as many making a lot of them.
Or simple......... skip your starbucks for one day and drop that $5 for these ppl that won't see a starbucks for a long time.
Ok, going to close my eyes for a few small hours, stay tuned, you're all good ppl here on R2R.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back