OP
ShepherdReefer

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We made a custom top to attempt the fish from jumping out of the tank. We lost a fish one time, his/her name was RJ. The wrasse found a small hole and jumped. We made two tops from 1/2' thick clear poly-board. Cut to length, cut the opening, placed a 1/8" groove around the perimeter, and installed the mesh.
1653647782372.png
1653647837983.png

Not the perfect job but it will work.

OP
OP
ShepherdReefer

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We also implemented a quarantine tank in one of the bedrooms. We picked up a 40-gallon tank from a local pet store, used part of the platform we made for the 190-gallon by cutting it down to the correct size of the 40-gallon, then placed some extra wood we had laying around as legs. Turned out nice.

1653648150091.png

This picture we used some equipment laying around in the storage area from past tanks. We did purchase a hang-on filter from another local pet store (not shown in picture).

OP
OP
ShepherdReefer

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today was a sad day. My wife was in tears because we lost her favorite fish. We assumed the fish was a female and she named her Fella, a filefish. She was the one who would always great you, the one who would come to you when you had to reach your arm into the tank to clean or feed or move a rock, or when cooking dinner she would swim over to watch you, or when one of your little grandchildren would put their face to the outer glass and swim over and down to see them. Fella, you will be missed but not forgotten.

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today was a sad day. My wife was in tears because we lost her favorite fish. We assumed the fish was a female and she named her Fella, a filefish. She was the one who would always great you, the one who would come to you when you had to reach your arm into the tank to clean or feed or move a rock, or when cooking dinner she would swim over to watch you, or when one of your little grandchildren would put their face to the outer glass and swim over and down to see them. Fella, you will be missed but not forgotten.
Sorry for y'all loss. This is one of the tougher parts of the hobby. I can definitely relate.

OP
OP
ShepherdReefer

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although on July 2nd we lost one of your fish, we purchased two more tangs.

FISH
Golden strip clown fish - 20+ years old
Golden strip clown fish - 5 years old
Blue tang - about 5-8 years old
Flame back Angelfish
Blue-throat male triggerfish
Red Firefish
Desjardin Sailin Tang
Lieutenant Tang

INVERTEBRATES
Serpent starfish
Cleaner shrimp
Emerald crab
Snails

PHXHobbies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We also wanted to add a mixing station to improve water changes and RO fill-ups. WOW! I wish we would have done this years ago. We purchased a stackable washer and dryer set and sold our old units. This made room in the wallway closet where the laundry is located.

1652902150733.png
1652902195091.png

1652902244220.png
1652902425288.png

The pump is a Jabao DCP-13000, and we added a motor switch that came with a handheld key fob allowing us to control the motor remotely anywhere nearby. We added a 25' garden hose to disperse the water into our tanks. The tanks are around 35-gallons each, and we used the left-over PVC to connect them; well, we had to order a few 90 degrees. Turned out nice.

Love the build man!! I swear I had nearly purchased the identical tank but went with a 180 GPD instead (smoking deal). I was actually just looking into stacking washer/dryer to do the same, so glad to see how you have it set up! cheers

OP
OP
ShepherdReefer

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The build has no new progress; we are just trying to get through the brown algae. The fish are doing fantastic, and we still need to build the cabinets.

OP
OP
ShepherdReefer

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have been battling brown algae, which are super easy to remove with a toothbrush. At first, we used a maxjet1200 with a short hose on the outlet pumping the tank saltwater directly into a 10-micron sock filter that is hooving over the tank. We also lowered the white lights or the brightness of the light only using blue light. Seems to be helping.

OP
OP
ShepherdReefer

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything going great, although we did lose an amazing fish. The night before we were feeding and all fish were eating great...hungry hippos. The next day, I could not find out Lieutenant Tang and had to leave for mom's home. When I got back, I continued to look for him. I found him sucked to a power head but the damage was so extreme, that he was dead by morning. I hate losing fish.

OU812Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We required upgrading our existing tank of around 60-gallons, the fish were getting too big, and one of my friends decided to sell his 190-gallon Coast-to-Coast custom aquarium. We started building the tank around the end of January and added three new fish on April 21st. We still need to construct the outer shell cabinet and intergrade the controls inside. Here is the entire photo video but I will post pictures on the page.

This is what the tank looks like today:
1651978731159.png

Very impressive build

OP
OP
ShepherdReefer

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated picture of the tank, well, both tanks. Still more to do, getting ready to order the supplies for the side alumium structures. The right side will house the ATO tank and the left will be for the future items. We will be adding cabinets to each side of the tank for the controls.

1666859963293.png

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back