Our New 800 gallon tank! So excited

BGrand

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely a beautiful piece of art/equipment. Before you put saltwater in it did you at least fill it with warm water and giant air stones and enjoy a cocktail in your oversized jacuzzi?

I just started in this “hobby” a few months ago and you two are my biggest fear. I fear I won’t be satisfied until I have something similar. Started with a nano in September and got a 54 corner for Christmas. It’s still cycling and I’m already thinking about the next tank. LOL

I will be following this build going forward. As weird as it seems my favorite part is the little “sand pond” in the bottom. Great idea!!!

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries on asking about cost. Its a large system so cost should probably be known as if you jump into a tank this size you should be prepared.

Off the top of my head heres a few numbers...

Tank 7500$
Sump 2k
Ato top off container 500$
I Galvanized the stand material 500$
2 160 gallon tanks for mixing and water station 600$ plus 500$ to ship!
Lights 9 at 600$ = 5600$
Apex 800$
Aluminum for light rack 500$
Steel for stand 2k
8 pumps octo dc pumps 3200$
Chiller 1500$
Dart pump $300
Dosing pumps 650$
Uv light 100watt 1500$
Protien skimmer 1200$
Plumbing 2500$ blue pipe with gray... lots and lots of unions
Dead dry rook.. 900 lbs 2700$
2 20 amp breakers ran 75 ft away 500$
Plumbing ran 75 ft away 350$
Dosing containers, plywood, pvc floor and cieling, switch boards, ect... stainless steel bolts (are a big cost ... like 250$) led lights for sump... 300 lbs of salt, rodi setup
All that is easily another 1k just to get running.
Still have to have gfo, carbon.. and alot of it...and let's not forget ... zip ties.

I think that should be around 35k and still havent wrapped stand or hood and that I'm thinking to match my kitchen will be close to 5k as cabinetry isnt cheap. Now yes.. you could go cheaper on a wrap and hood I'm sure but all the other stuff above... that's the ticket.
Still havent included the 4 gyre pumps and refuge lights... 3 ai refuge lights should be around 200$ each... and pumps I'm thinking 850 for all.. so 37k without wrapping it and no hood.
Also... keep in mind I did everything myself except build tank, sump, and ato container.
I built the stand, installed 2 20 amp circuits 75 ft. Thru the walls and ceiling plus the plumbing.
Made stand ect... so if you aren't doing everything yourself this cost will be alot higher.

I didnt go on the cheap as it's my final build (large one at least) but I didnt go crazy having someone do all the work either. I loved the challange and was worth every penny to me as I my wife loves it.

If she had her way... there would be a tank in every room.

Hope this helps...
Best- Steve

Awesome! Very thorough break down. I will run it by my wife. She's not crazy about my present or past fish tanks. She doesn't mind them but not crazy about them either. Can I borrow 40K? Better make it at least 50 as I don't know how to weld or do electrical work lol.

Are you going to do the woodwork yourself or have someone else make it?

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Very thorough break down. I will run it by my wife. She's not crazy about my present or past fish tanks. She doesn't mind them but not crazy about them either. Can I borrow 40K? Better make it at least 50 as I don't know how to weld or do electrical work lol.

@Philipgonzales3 - if you really want to shock your wife show her this build!

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-ins-and-outs-of-my-20-000-gallon-reef-tank.198868/

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Wendy Rodgers

Wendy Rodgers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ha! I'd let you borrow it but I still need fish and corals!

As 2 the wood work... yes sir ... I will be doing it very soon as the blueprints are in my head.

OP
OP
Wendy Rodgers

Wendy Rodgers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely a beautiful piece of art/equipment. Before you put saltwater in it did you at least fill it with warm water and giant air stones and enjoy a cocktail in your oversized jacuzzi?

I just started in this “hobby” a few months ago and you two are my biggest fear. I fear I won’t be satisfied until I have something similar. Started with a nano in September and got a 54 corner for Christmas. It’s still cycling and I’m already thinking about the next tank. LOL

I will be following this build going forward. As weird as it seems my favorite part is the little “sand pond” in the bottom. Great idea!!!

We started with a 75 gallon years ago.... then 125 ... then a 450... then an nano... and now.. big blue.. 800 gallons... it's a habbit.. lol
Heres wendy in the jacuzzi doing a little prepping.

Hoping the wrasses like the pond!

20190119_200555.jpg

20190118_202324.jpg

20190119_200526.jpg

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey TheWB...Watch ya self, the only SHARKS in this house will be ones in the tank ! Lol!!
If ya dont bleed Blue, ya through!
Thank you for following , even though You like the Sharks!
Wendy
Yeah, I like the Sharks. Bay Area born and raised. Had a mini season ticket plan to the first season at the Cow Palace. That was super fun even though they stunk. I thought we were gonna sweep you guys this year but the Bolts whacked them pretty good last week. I’ll take the split and hopefully we square off for the cup this year. That will be fun.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your not BLUE... your thru! Hahahaha...

J/k... ive heard of the Everblades... miama area right??

Miami? Naw... they have the Florida Panthers in the NHL, the Everblades are in first place (currently) in the 27 team ECHL and they play in Ft Myers, FL at the just rebranded Hertz. BTW, tickets for their games start at $12 and it's good hockey all season long because all the players are looking to get moved up to the AHL or the NHL. IMHO the NHL is about being on cruise control for the most part until just before they start to play for the Cup. But don't get me wrong, the level of play when they are in the playoffs for Lord Stanley's Cup is spectacular!

Slicktop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, what a great build and well thought out. Love the removable stand racks for cleaning. Can wait to see if full of corals and fish.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 16.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 56 44.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back