Our new Water Station

mcshams

Slave to my wife's reef desires
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With our newer larger tank build (see the build link in my signature if you are interested) we decided that doing a bucket brigade for water changes and adding RODI water to the ATO reservoir would be too much of a hassle. So we elected to build our water change station that will run hoses to carry the desired water to our tank (either salt or RODI).

A couple of things as a disclaimer.
1. We did not have room outside or in garage to place this.
2. Yes, this is ontop of a bathtub.
3. No, it's not ON the fiberglass of the bathtub. The bathtub is a deep jacuzzi tube that we NEVER use. The surrounding support structure that this is travertine tile on is 2x4 construction on both sides.
4. We will likely never hold lots of water in a tank or both tanks for a time. We'll likely make and mix the water within 24 hours, then utilize most/all of it.
5. I could think of no other way to put it or do it, so I still took the chance with the construction design. I am prepared to fix the tile/tube if needed.
6. Lastly, hope you like it.

Equipment:
Panworld 100PXX.
1" pvc schedule 80.

Still yet to be done. I am waiting for the conversion of the standard garden hose quick connects to vinyl barb so we can run the hose out to the tank.
I am investigating how I want to support the vertical pipe for mixing better. I have some ideas. I thought about using uniseal bulkhead and running pipe in through the tank, but did not want to drill a hole in the tank. I might, but I think I am going to put a clamp at top.

I'd take any suggestions. Thank you.

water changing station bathroom.jpg water changing station close.jpg

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it functions for you and your wife that is all that matters.
No possible chance this would be allowed at my house. I would have had to utilize a closet, build a hidden room somewhere, not park in the garage, or build a shed.
Looks good and having a mixing station will make your reef life easier.

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Works for you! Very creative which is often times called for in this hobby (aka obsession). Thankfully I had room in the garage which is insulated and air conditioned.

OP
OP
mcshams

mcshams

Slave to my wife's reef desires
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Works for you! Very creative which is often times called for in this hobby (aka obsession). Thankfully I had room in the garage which is insulated and air conditioned.
We can't wait until we have a built home of our own with a fish maintenance room. Our garage is small and uninsulated and dusty. It would be a mess.

We don't use the bath at all, and we can draw the shower curtain and it hides the water station completely so if guests are over it isn't unsightly.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back