OP
OP
mfl74

mfl74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also tried to DIY a rustic modern-ish light arm from pipe pieces, both for the look but was trying to save money. About $15 for the pile and very unfortunately a $15 larger diameter bit capable of drilling thru. Long story short, went with the Kessil arm although $65, it was easier to route the two cords thru, fully adjustable and great fit & finish.

60.jpg

OP
OP
mfl74

mfl74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Built a quick stand for 10g quarentine tank tonight from scrap lumber, from the RODI container shelves to the left.

Next I’m going to start cycling my dry rock in saltwater and lights in the aquarium and blue tub to get the diatom cycle over with before putting in my display tank upstairs.

Lastly, I’ve decided on Fritz Pro Mix salt for a few reasons. Mainly, because this tank will be soft and LPS, likely for awhile (1 year or more?), and will not be dosing other supplements, define not dosing automatically/regularly. The levels I get will be the levels from my salt and regular water changes.

61.jpg

62.jpg

63.jpg

OP
OP
mfl74

mfl74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started cycle of my dry base rock and started these two setups. Figured when this was done I could use the 10 gallon aquarium as a quarantine tank.

64.jpg

65.jpg

OP
OP
mfl74

mfl74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the plumbing done under the tank; need to get stainless clamps for the return like the drain. Used blue flexible pool hose on drain and white spa flex for the return and a branch out with a valve for future refugium. Eheim 1260 (~624g/hr) pump.

66.jpg

OP
OP
mfl74

mfl74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, tonight I was trying to set up a basic light cycle (or find one pre-programmed) where I could basically tell it to turn on at say 10:30am and turn off at 11:30pm with the moon light on until say 1:00am or something. I tried unsuccessfully so at least for tonight I stopped messing with it.
These two 10%/10% or 50%/50% screens just keep cycling back and forth.
Does anyone have experience with the Kessil A360X lights and spectral controller? I need some help on setting the time, setting up a basic light cycle, etc. If someone can assist that would be great!

67.jpg

68.jpg

69.jpg

OP
OP
mfl74

mfl74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I set up the Tunze Osmolator ATO, a garbage can reservoir in the closet next to the tank, and ran the water hose and pump power to the controller thru the wall and into the tank stand.

I’m guessing, but it’s probably about 20g of RODI water I pumped up my basement stairs to the first floor. My 13 y/o son held the tube upstairs while I was in the basement with the pump (a nice cheap sump pump type pump). We FaceTime’d each other and it worked really well...only a couple minutes to move that much water upstairs.

70.jpg

71.jpg

72.jpg

OP
OP
mfl74

mfl74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If my son’s not around in future I’ll probably get this RF remote controlled power outlet to do the task on my own:

DEWENWILS Wireless Remote Control Electrical Outlet with Countdown Timer, Remote On/Off Switch for Household Appliances, 2 Grounded Outlets, 100 ft RF Range, 15 AMP Heavy Duty, UL Listed

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CRFVSSR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_jaUgDbBGS1Q8D

I also zip tied a heater and powerhead to a PVC stick the right length to place in my mixing bin so I can easily get them in and make sure they don’t twist up when I leave them in there while mixing.

73.jpg

74.jpg

75.jpg

76.jpg

OP
OP
mfl74

mfl74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*This post brings my tank build thread up to current date.*

Tonight I cleaned off the dead live rock I’ve had sitting in circulating salt water for the last 4-5 wks. A bunch of funk I’m glad I took care of before putting in my display tank.

I will be putting this and the water in my display tank soon.

77.jpg

78.jpg

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that’s a lot of updates!

I enjoy the aesthetics of your system. I think the placement of your system is neat, and it fits in that space well. I’m looking forward to seeing further progress.

OP
OP
mfl74

mfl74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that’s a lot of updates!

I enjoy the aesthetics of your system. I think the placement of your system is neat, and it fits in that space well. I’m looking forward to seeing further progress.

Thank you for the feedback...the tank is in an area of my home that it should be viewable regularly and dots in that corner spot...this means I’ll really have to keep it clean! :)
And yes, this was a whole bunch of updates from the last many months...I “copy+pasted” a build thread from my local forum to R2R now that I am further along.

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the feedback...the tank is in an area of my home that it should be viewable regularly and dots in that corner spot...this means I’ll really have to keep it clean! :)
And yes, this was a whole bunch of updates from the last many months...I “copy+pasted” a build thread from my local forum to R2R now that I am further along.
That's a really nice setup! Can't wait to see it go live!

OP
OP
mfl74

mfl74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately after filling, have a leak at the return line bulkhead and drain line where it connects into my sump. I’m most concerned with the bulkhead because it’s tightened fully I think, hand tightened then wrench/pliers 1/8 to 1/4 turn, and it’s really difficult to get at under there in the stand.

For tonight I drained out my corner overflow and tomorrow I’ll have to figure out how to fix the leaks, get new parts to do that, or whatever it takes. I’m not really sure how best to address it but hopefully a trip to the fish store or hardware store will help me figure it out.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice?

Thanks!
0e881cef99a1a5e57643f4e6deebf198.jpg
6bdcd8e6666e22173846ef0f04cbc379.jpg
7fff864ad65caaa54967625b40661b95.jpg

abecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided on the Kessil A360X with Spectral controller X to automate light cycles, moonlighting at night, etc. It wasn’t cheap (at least for me) but I found a very good deal on new items from an eBay seller if anyone is interested. After much contemplating (and looking at LFS tanks using different lights), I think these look the best and most realistic. The shimmer without the disco ball of colors can’t be beat IMO. I also weighed other factors - aesthetics, build quality, and mounting options (plan to DIY an arm attached to tank instead of mounting to tank rim) and finally and maybe most importantly, was the ability of the light to provide realistic color spectrum to the corals and tank inhabitants.
How good was the price?

OP
OP
mfl74

mfl74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed out the return bulkhead and changed out the type of tubing I used for drain and return. I’m using a better flexible tubing for drain and clear on the return, instead of the spa flex tubing. The tee and valve in the picture is for a potential refugium I may make in the in-used RODI water reservoir section of my sump. Unfortunately, I’m still dealing with and watching a very small leak on the drain line bulkhead. :(

Tank is now fully filled and has been running since yesterday.

I have a local reefer who has offered some of their biomedia to help seed my tank, and I added two pieces of live rock to help seed the dead rock I have in the tank as well.

9bb409d48d60f624d5e8456b9079c9b7.jpg

d7565330ec5f3de2c6e3e44bd0655c7d.jpg

A_game43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mfl74 - great details on your build - I really like your cabinet build with two doors! Great progress and really nice equipment choices - keep us posted - you and your son are off to a fantastic start!!!

Thumbs Up 3.PNG Wow2.PNG

Back