Our Ocean In A Box: 74g Cube Build

mfl74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm posting my build for the first time here on R2R from a previous build post I started in my local forum. I hope to get valuable input from other reefers and/or provide interesting information to others as well.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So here we go...will try to provide lots of pics along the way. More info on details in future but we’re starting on a stand build this week, here is the tank and a look and where it will be displayed.

- Deep Blue reef ready rimless 74g cube (24"x24"x30" tall)
- Skimz UP21 sump with included top off water resevoir (may use for refugium in future, but not using for auto-top off water)
- Building the stand ~42” tall

This will be a build that my 13 y/o son will be a part of. Maybe as it picks up steam my wife and daughter will have some interest too.
1.gif

Thanks in advance for the support, help and/or comments along the way!

1.png

2.jpg

3.jpg

OP
OP
mfl74

mfl74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well due to a bunch of things, this build had been on pause for quite a long time. That’s sad.

What is happy? It’s going to begin again!
1.gif

Progress on the stand took longer than expected but have the hard part of the fine finishing complete. Stain and varnish the outside; white exterior waterproof home paint on the inside. Hinges and doors next. Going to figure out some interesting door pulls for each door, I hope.

Now I need everyone’s help on electrical, lighting or other awesome ideas and plans for inside the tank cabinet. Any good pics or links you can provide to review? Thanks!

11.jpg

12.jpg

OP
OP
mfl74

mfl74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the help of my father-in-law I added an outlet on the wall behind where the tank stand is pictured. And, I built these power boxes/outlets I’ll plug into the wall and screw to the inside of my tank stand underneath.

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

OP
OP
mfl74

mfl74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is the same 24”x24” foot print but 30” high instead of 24”. Its resting in the garage until I can modify the stand.
I will be doing the following items to the stand before I get the tank on it:
1. Installing the custom outlet box I put together on inside and cutting hole to run cord thru side.
2. Installing four vent holes for some air movement in/out.
3. Installing heavy duty leveling feet to ensure I can adjust without having to use shims.
4. Cutting the rear corner out to allow for the drain and return lines.
5. Also going to use one of these holes or cut another for the fresh RODI too off water entering stand.

21.jpg

OP
OP
mfl74

mfl74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to a bunch of other conflicts I haven’t been able to move as quickly as I had intended. But, made a little progress on fish room shelves for RODI/Salt mix area. I’d like to complete this weekend. I’ll be getting salt and ordering sump, skimmer and other items.

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

OP
OP
mfl74

mfl74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided on the Kessil A360X with Spectral controller X to automate light cycles, moonlighting at night, etc. It wasn’t cheap (at least for me) but I found a very good deal on new items from an eBay seller if anyone is interested. After much contemplating (and looking at LFS tanks using different lights), I think these look the best and most realistic. The shimmer without the disco ball of colors can’t be beat IMO. I also weighed other factors - aesthetics, build quality, and mounting options (plan to DIY an arm attached to tank instead of mounting to tank rim) and finally and maybe most importantly, was the ability of the light to provide realistic color spectrum to the corals and tank inhabitants.

40.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

OP
OP
mfl74

mfl74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope to start cycling some water and rock over the next week or two. Sump and other equipment also arrived so I think I’ve got most of what I need at this point to start, other than choosing the salt mix. Thoughts or recommendations on salt mix brand and WHY you use what you use?

I should have added, I do not plan on dosing extra supplements so I will be relying on the water changes to keep up the nutrients.
For this type of setup, and also considering cost, I have researched that Fritz is a good salt.
For Fritz or any other brands though, knowing I’m relying on the salt H2O and not supplements, I’d love anyone’s input and WHY it works best for you.

OP
OP
mfl74

mfl74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just taking much, much longer to get started than planned...lots of other conflicting priorities, travel, work, live, blah, blah, blah. Anyway, getting closer.

I hope to have salt water mixing station and basement fish room area complete soon and will post some pics.

Then, water into display tank and Skimz UP21 sump.

***Another question...have done a lot of reading on various sand types. I plan to have a relatively thin layer, moderate flow in the tank, and I prefer a whiter or lighter appearance (versus brownish colored). Could I get some input on what you all are using & why? ***

Thanks all for the help on some questions I’ve had along the way.

OP
OP
mfl74

mfl74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished the water mixing station. Float switch and overflow pipe in the top tank to ensure no accidents.

The tanks on either side of the shelves have nothing to do with this setup, as they are for my house.

I had very limited room and had to build the shelves to fit in the corner with no room to spare behind my floor sump crock and that white vertical tube, a radon mitigation system.

When it’s time to move water upstairs I will be using a separate pump connected to 100’ of clear tubing.

47.jpg

48.jpg

49.jpg

OP
OP
mfl74

mfl74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it’s been slow but still proceeding. Tonight my son and I got the light and rigid arm together on the tank. Really nice quality of the pieces, brackets and hardware from Kessil, and how it fits on the tank. I can see there is sure to be big opportunity for salt creep all over the two set screws on the inside of the tank, but what can you do. It was a splurge but it was the light I liked best, with natural shimmer, after a bunch of research.

Tomorrow may tackle hooking up bulkheads, drain, and return plumbing.

53.jpg

54.jpg

55.jpg

56.jpg

57.jpg

58.jpg

59.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back