Out of nowhere!

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I woke up yesterday and there was a tiny bit of cloudiness in my tank… I was like great so much for not going thru a second bloom… algae (cyano) kicked up and this time it wasn’t the stringy slimy stuff I had a little over 2 months ago.
Well woke up this morning and the tank is super cloudy! I have a zoa(or poly no one can fully ID which) and 4 nems…………. Well until I looked closely at the powerhead this morning…
I don’t believe the powerhead blasted the whole BTA but I cannot find the rest of it. Don’t really want to move rocks because this nem doesn’t need to be more stressed out.

I am going to post some pictures! But my questions are;
Will my foxface rabbitfish, purple fire fish goby and other 3 BTA’s be alright?
How do I get rid of bloom without a UV sterilizer?
Does micro-bactor 7 really work?
What should I do about the blasted apart nem?
Is my tank going to crash?
Should I re-home the nems and fish while I try and get this all back taken care of?

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
agame2021

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running carbon and a protein skimmer? Is the skimmer going nuts or acting normally?
No I had a fritz bomb water clearifier in there but I took it out before the bloom started. Also no because I have so small of a bio load they told me not to get a protein skimmer yet. I have socks and I change them 2 times a week.

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a decent water change asap, anemones decomposing can ruin water very fast. Carbon as well if you have it

OP
OP
agame2021

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a decent water change asap, anemones decomposing can ruin water very fast. Carbon as well if you have it
it’s a 150 gallon with a 30 gallon sump… how much is “decent”. I was thinking about 30 gallons.
Also they told me BTA’s don’t do too much damage as they decompose… or was that false?

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s a 150 gallon with a 30 gallon sump… how much is “decent”. I was thinking about 30 gallons.
Also they told me BTA’s don’t do too much damage as they decompose… or was that false?
Depends on the size of the nem, glad you have a larger tank! Id suck up any nem peices you can find and do those 30 gallons, if things are still looking bad another 30 etc.

OP
OP
agame2021

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the size of the nem, glad you have a larger tank! Id suck up any nem peices you can find and do those 30 gallons, if things are still looking bad another 30 etc.
Sounds good. It was the larger of the 4 fully opened it was about 5-6 inch. There is just no way the pieces I have found are all of him… that is why I think he got some of the tentacles diced then went into hiding.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I know some stores are on the verge of closing but 15% water change and a pouch of chemipure blue which will remove any toxins from the powerhead mishap, polish water and keep nitrate in check.

OP
OP
agame2021

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know some stores are on the verge of closing but 15% water change and a pouch of chemipure blue which will remove any toxins from the powerhead mishap, polish water and keep nitrate in check.
I just live 1.5 hours from the nearest LFS… and I have never even been to that one. The next closest is 2 hours away. My problem with them is they don’t really know how to take care of their livestock and sold me stuff that turned out to be not what they said it was.
I want to try different stores but all the others normally don’t open till noon and I have to be at work by 3 pm… this leaves me less than a half an hour to shop and possible traffic….
Once I am moved back down there I will be able to help keep some LFS stores open!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just live 1.5 hours from the nearest LFS… and I have never even been to that one. The next closest is 2 hours away. My problem with them is they don’t really know how to take care of their livestock and sold me stuff that turned out to be not what they said it was.
I want to try different stores but all the others normally don’t open till noon and I have to be at work by 3 pm… this leaves me less than a half an hour to shop and possible traffic….
Once I am moved back down there I will be able to help keep some LFS stores open!
Mail order is another option but will take a few days

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do I have a few days? I looks like it has been cleared up a little today
testing and monitoring the water will determine that.

OP
OP
agame2021

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so I cleaned the tank up yesterday and got the 30 gallon water change done. It cleared up some (not completely) that night, however this morning it’s the same level of cloudy it was before the water change.
Both my fish are doing really good and have great coloring. 2 of my anemone are doing fine however 1 still isn’t doing the best and the big one that got hit by the powerhead is still missing.

I was thinking of trying microbacter7. I have cyano and this bacteria bloom. Has anyone used this product to try and help with these things?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
agame2021

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have 2 more days until my microbacter7 get in….. and this is the state of the tank. The fish are still eating but the BTA’s are hiding. Water change I feel almost made it worse after a day…

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 31

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have 2 more days until my microbacter7 get in….. and this is the state of the tank. The fish are still eating but the BTA’s are hiding. Water change I feel almost made it worse after a day…

What you can't compare is how bad today might have looked without that water change. I'd make more water and plan another change until you get the anemone problem cleared up with charcoal &/or chemipure blue used.

I don't see any harm in your MicroBacter 7, but recent post says company recommended MicroBacter Clean... First see how the charcoal and chemipure blue go because maybe you don't want to start down the MicroBacter (either type) path

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back