agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I want to hear what y’all think. I live in arizona and the weather can get hot and lots of sun. However where I live in the winter it gets cold! I’m guessing a good swing is anywhere from 15-115 degree F.
That being said I am about to move into a RV/5th wheel… and own a 140 gallon tank with a 30 gallon sump and 12 gallon auto refill tank.
Water weight alone would trash the tires and the frames won’t hold all that weight…
So I have a porch under a tree next to where we are storing the camper and I am thinking of putting it there.
I am wondering what is the repercussions of this?
Do I need a chiller?
Do I need more than 1 300 watt heater for the winter?
do I need to have any special care?
Since it’s under a tree would I need to still use lights?
Should I put it in a tent to protect a little more?
What about building a small overhead shade?
Should I insulate during winter?

just keep the discussion going I am looking for how this could work and not why it won’t. I am open to hearing the problems so we can find more solutions. I want this to be safe for the fish and corals. I don’t have anything but live rock at the moment but I want to get some clownfish, a fox face rabbit fish, a clean up crew and maybe 1-2 other species(haven’t decided yet).

thanks in advance!

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly doubt it will work for a myriad of reasons, temperature and light spectrum just to name two. Sell it and get yourself a sweet nano setup that you can enjoy. My 2 cents.

reefingaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree I’m in AZ as well. I have a chiller and my house is pretty cold and I still have use a chiller to get under 79. No way a tank will ever survive outside with the 115 heat in Az. The temp does not drop at night so you could see lows in the 90’s that constant high temp will not support a tank. Trust me I have sat in my “cool” 90 degree pool in the summer and I have to lower my temp in the pool overnight to keep it from going over 91. A small tank would get over 95 ALL summer long easy. I wish I could turn my pool into a giant reef but the Algea and heat alone would prevent this. I agree get yourself a tank that works in the RV and enjoy it!
hey at least dreaming is free right? :)

OP
OP
agame2021

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I figured out a way to keep my tank inside my trailer. Just took me a while. I’m getting a toy hauler because they are built to hold a ton of extra weight. So I guess I won’t have to sell after all!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back