Outgoing nano fish

Kawika

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon tank and I did some research into fish I wanted to get but primarily was looking at colors and patterns. I didn’t pay much attention to behaviors. So now i have a clown which is super active and then two fish (green clown goby, and watchmen goby) that never come out. I feel like at most I can get one more fish so I want to make it count. I want something that is active that I can watch swim around. Any suggestions?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think for the most part species suitable for nano tanks tend to be quite shy. Do you have any inverts? If not, maybe a small Hawkfish of some kind? Geometric Pygmy (actually an Anthias), Flame or a Falco Hawkfish maybe? Also IMO best to pair your Clownfish.

I think the more outgoing fish need bigger tanks TBH.

Here’s what I’d do if I were you:

x1 Green Clown Goby (2.5”?)

x1 (presumably Yellow) Watchman Goby (4”)

x2 Ocellaris Clownfish (total of 6”)

x1 Royal Gramma (3”) / Swissguard Basslet (3”) / Pink Possum Wrasse (2.5”) / Pink Streak Wrasse (2.5”) / Geometric Pygmy Hawkfish (if no inverts) (2”)

*Changed my mind about the Hawkfish except the Geometric Pygmy Perchlet. The Flame or Falco I worry would get too aggressive in a nano.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back