Outlaw's 75 gallon adventure.

Outlaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
My first post. Going to try to document my first marine tank in probably 25 years! Any and all advice and criticism would be greatly appreciated!

So, I have finally drilled my 75 and installed the overflow (Glass Holes 1500) and 3/4" bulkhead for the return. I was originally going for a 29 sump but it seems to high for my custom stand. I am glad I also picked up a 20Long at the $1/gallon sale!

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1412454080.079755.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1412454105.442181.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1412454139.165003.jpg

I have gotten all of my PVC and fitting and am ready to plumb!

As I still have several pieces to acquire, I was hoping you kind folks could let me know if I am on the right track (things have changed BIG time!). Any opinions welcome (good, bad, or indifferent!)

Where I am at right now is purchasing the following. Would this be a good starting point for a successful aquarium (reef safe fish until tank matures, then mixed corals)?

Eheim compact+ 3000 (796gph) for return - <4' head.

SCA 302 skimmer (180 G)

2x Jebao wp-25 (800-2000gph)

2x 165W dimmable taotronics panels.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Rob

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not real knowledgeable on the pump and sump but it looks to me like you're on a good track! welcome back to the hobby and to the forum!

OP
OP
Outlaw

Outlaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I plumbed all of my lines but wanted to get any input I can about the design before I start cementing anything. Also, is splitting off a ball valve okay? I did it in case I wanted to run to reactors later.

Any opinions welcome.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good so far! Can't wait to see it wet!

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have two drains?

If so I'd combine them into one drain on one end of the sump and have your return line at the opposite end of the sump and keep them separate.

OP
OP
Outlaw

Outlaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it's a 2 drain Glass Holes overflow. They advise against combining drains. Am thinking skimmer on the left, fuge on the right and return in the center.

OP
OP
Outlaw

Outlaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally got some 1/4" plate glass and will get it cut next week. For, now, I was hoping to solicit comments on sump design. I'll likely be using an SCA-302 skimmer (9" L x 9.5" W x 18" H) and an Eheim compact+ 3000 return pump (5 L x 3.2 H x 5.4 W). There will be 2 drains going to the skimmer and fuge areas.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Sump.jpg
    Sump.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 1,253
OP
OP
Outlaw

Outlaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it's okay? (Honestly I've never done a sump before).

I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you different.
--Vonnegut

rollo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow... I have my SCa-302 and Ehiem 3000 ready to go too on a 60 DT. My first venture into the reefing hobby. I just finished making my three chamber refug yesterday. Did the water test today and all seems to be ok. On mine, I put the skimmer and water return in the first chamber, middle chamber is for the actual refugium, and last chamber for return pump. Also, going to put a GFO/Carbon pump in the last chamber, should be enough room in there for other pumps as well. Looking at your drawing, I was a little confused. Didn't see how your refuge got water, but then read and took a look at your photos a second time, you will have two drains going, one into the skimmer chamber and the other into the refugium. Cool. Like to see how that works out for you. Have you done it this way before? One other question, do you think our 800GPH max (at the pump head) can handle a reactor and still give good water flow back to the tank? I am kind of wishing I had stepped up to the Ehiem 5000 instead. Just throwing things out there, your plumbing looks great, hope mine looks near as good.

OP
OP
Outlaw

Outlaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! Yeah I decided to lose the ball valve (my daughter uses it as a telescope), and just use the 3000 for return. I figure if I run reactors I will just get a dedicated pump. I am thinking about the 2 chamber BRS carbon/gfo reactor as it can be placed outside the sump. Still debating whether I want the fuge or the return pump in the middle.

I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you different.
--Vonnegut

rollo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I thought that ball valve was a good idea, especially for water changes. Could come in handy. Good luck with things. I will be checking in to see how you are doing and pick up some ideas. I have to delay the start-up of my tank. I was going to set it up in my work shop, but decided I want to turn it into a man cave first. Have to get some dry wall up and take care of some serious cracks in the concrete floor. This one little hobby I picked up has turned into a money pit. I was content before, I don't know what happened?

OP
OP
Outlaw

Outlaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I will be getting my plate glass cut tomorrow so I need to finalize my design. I think I need ~3.75 Gal to account for back flow in event of power outage. Any opinions on which might serve me the best? :crazy:
20 Gal long sump:
Sump.jpg

Sump2.jpg

Sump3.jpg

Back