Outlet of UV and Reactors

Concept

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I have some doubts about the output of the reactors and the UV light ...

My big question is: the water after passing the reactors and the UV light where should go in the SUMP ???

Here are some pictures of two possible installations of PVC pipes.

Sem Título.png
Sem Título 2.png

So the question is whether each should go straight to the SUMP or go from 1 to 1 so that all the water goes through the reactor and UV system ..

Ty all in advance for all answers..

:cool: :p :D

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it matters much for the reactor output but I personally always prefer plumbing Sterilizers with a Bypass rather than through a manifold. You could potentially plumb the whole thing as a by pass as well if you want to make sure that the processed water isn't recirculated through the sump. Here is an article I found on Bypasses vs Manifolds in case you aren't familiar with them.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't run them in series. Your first example is better. Flow rates will change as those reactors get debris. Also with the uv downstream you run the risk of crud going through it from the reactors. When you refill those reactors you will need to flush them so their own output is a good thing.

You may also want to consider a separate pump just to run reactors and uv to ensure proper flow rate. Flow rate is key, especially with UV

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the first picture
I would not daisy chain my things together.

lactose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to above and you are going to both want to (a) have different flows going through them most likely and (b) want to take one offline from time to time (either maintenance or you no longer want to run GFO/whatever) and running them separate inputs and outputs makes that much easier than in series.

As far as UV the two keys I have adhered to is always have the outlet higher than the inlet so that you don't get air stuck and the UV light tube inside not fully covered by water (if vertical just put output on top and if horizontal mount them off level) and secondarily as stated above have the flow be non-recirculating as much as possible. That can mean on bypass to return to aquarium as noted above or at least returning 'later in the sump' than the input so it isn't just UV'ing the same water again and again.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to emphasize I would definitely do the UV as a Bypass Not a Manifold. you will avoid getting re sterilization and have much better results.

The reactors can be manifolded without issues.

OP
OP
C

Concept

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ty for all answers...

So i think all about u say guyz and i think some like this:

Sem Título 3.png

So now i think is all ready to go...
Or i need make more changes like another joint for calcium reactor, etc, etc,
My space for SUMP is :

20190821-231100.jpg

Any help with the pipe and how i divide my sump, because the space is tiny..

Ty in advance...

:cool: :p :) :D :rolleyes:

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is still not correct. The line coming out of the UV should match back up with the return line.

OP
OP
C

Concept

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Match with return line from tank to sump or the sump to tank ??

Ty

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something important to note is if you are running all of this things off your main return you will need to make sure and shut down that uv for feed modes, maintenance, etc.

If you have a separate pump it can continue to feed the uv during feedings and maintenance

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something important to note is if you are running all of this things off your main return you will need to make sure and shut down that uv for feed modes, maintenance, etc.

If you have a separate pump it can continue to feed the uv during feedings and maintenance
This is only true if the UV is above the water level of the sump.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Match with return line from tank to sump or the sump to tank ??

Ty
The return line should split into a uv line and a bypass line. These lines the. Come back together and the new joined line goes to the display tank. This way the sterilized water is not recirculated within the sump and you don’t loose main system circulation.

OP
OP
C

Concept

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ty again for all answers..

So lets see if this is the FINAL ONE :cool:

Sem Título 4.png

Ty in advance...

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A separate pump would allow water to be resterilized
Not true.
If you pull from the side of your sump where the water comes in and the output of the UV aid on the return chamber there is no re filtering

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you implying that attaching UV to a manifold that outputs back into the sump does not ?
It will also this is why a return bypass is the best approach. I believe I will have to upload a drawing to make it more clear though there is a picture in the article I linked to earlier.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not true.
If you pull from the side of your sump where the water comes in and the output of the UV aid on the return chamber there is no re filtering
This could work but you then have one more pump that uses power takes up space and requires maintenance.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it’s easier to run a small pump at a set speed for a Uv Than to mess around with ball valves and flow meters. Set and forget. And the little amount of power used is negligible IMO

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back