Outside Air Fixes pH Issues!

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't have either of these issues.
Having said that, I have switched over to a kalk stirrer, which has helped my pH more than the fresh-air solution.
So having the kalk stirred as opposed to just a super saturated solution that’s used for top off made a difference?

OP
OP
T-J

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So having the kalk stirred as opposed to just a super saturated solution that’s used for top off made a difference?
Yes. The stirrer keeps it super saturated and I only have to add kalk powder every couple of weeks.
I went with the Avast Marine one. I did the "you built" version, which was pretty easy, and saved a bunch of money.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Central Florida and am considering this for the same reason you did. Have you noticed any issue with temp creeping from entraining in the hotter outside air?

Also did you consider a filter of sorts to keep insects from crawling the tube?
I have been running an outside airline to my skimmer for a few years now, but without the scrubber. During the spring, summer, and fall it is never an issue with the temp. During the Winter however I can see a noticeable difference in how long my heaters have to run. To make up for this I just use bigger heaters than I normally would.
I live in WV where our winter temps are commonly in the teens and sometimes single digits. Living in FL I doubt you will have any temp problems, unless your tank is already close to needing a chiller.

gibbers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
my skimmer left running will raise the temp 3-4 degrees on a hot day, 1500 gallons , skimmer is a 15 inch body 7 feet tall quad beckett . thats with a 2.5 hp chiller running. So i would say yes its worth watching your temps. Alos in summer we evaporate alot of water so air exchanger helps with keeping the ph up in the morton building a bit.

winters we get negative temps here, i heat the inlet and run 2 becketts with outside air and 2 with inside air. ranco will turn off the 2 outside pumps if temp low threshold is reached.
15” dia 7’ tall quad beckett? How many dolphins do you in your tank at sea world?!?!?!

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running an outside airline to my skimmer for a few years now, but without the scrubber. During the spring, summer, and fall it is never an issue with the temp. During the Winter however I can see a noticeable difference in how long my heaters have to run. To make up for this I just use bigger heaters than I normally would.
I live in WV where our winter temps are commonly in the teens and sometimes single digits. Living in FL I doubt you will have any temp problems, unless your tank is already close to needing a chiller.
Ty.

no chiller needed here. Max temp is about 80 degrees. If it creeps over that a ceiling fan keeps it square.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ty.

no chiller needed here. Max temp is about 80 degrees. If it creeps over that a ceiling fan keeps it square.
If you already need to turn on a fan occasionally to keep your temp where you want it then adding an outside airline may make your temps creep up a little during the hotter days.
For me it just means my heaters run a little less during the summer. In the winter though my skimmer is very cold to the touch and the heaters run a lot more.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you already need to turn on a fan occasionally to keep your temp where you want it then adding an outside airline may make your temps creep up a little during the hotter days.
For me it just means my heaters run a little less during the summer. In the winter though my skimmer is very cold to the touch and the heaters run a lot more.
If i do it I’ll keep an eye on it for sure it would run cooler but I keep it a bit warmer than some with a heater

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wish I could fix my ph issues…currently I am running an icecap kalk stirrer with a versa continuous doser, and a 3/8 id line out the window ran to a co2 scrubber then to my skimmer and my ph still barely hits 7.9….my house must be a co2 bubble!

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see how it's slowly improving over the last several days. Each day the low end of the pH is getting higher. Before the outside air intake, it would bottom out at 7.86. Last night the low was 7.92.
Previous high was 8.06. Yesterday was 8.13. Today is still trending upward, and is higher than the same time yesterday.
I'm guessing it'll take another week before it stabilizes and gets into a good spot.
I just ran my airline outside. Couple of questions, if you would be so gracious:

1. What did you end up going from and to after things 'stabilized'
2. How long did the process take to get to the final stabilized state?
3. What was the total increase from your pre airline peak and post airline peak
4. What was the total increase from your pre airline low to the post airline low

Sorry for all of the questions. Just wonder that if I get a benefit...what else might I have to do if it isnt enough.

Thanks

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back