Outside Air Line

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for ideas on how others have installed an outdoor airline. In summer I would regularly open windows etc. With winter that's not possible and my pH is suffering... Barely making it to 8.1 during day and that's with a CO2 scrubber...

My main tank is in a center living area. Going inside or through a wall isn't an option. I could possibly route a line to a window, but not sure what to do once I get there. Other tanks in basement I could more easily go through a wall to outside, but window is readily accessible also.

I guess looking for ideas on how that outside interface is made, secured, protected - and if there were any more temporary options available using a window... Besides just getting a piece of foam to help close off a window opened a few inches and sandwiching the line in there...

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I imagine you're trying to do it a thrifty way but I would recommend a CO2 scrubber, that way you dont gotta worry about a large length of tubing or trying to figure out how to not let all the cold in LOL

OP
OP
penguinexdeus

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I imagine you're trying to do it a thrifty way but I would recommend a CO2 scrubber, that way you dont gotta worry about a large length of tubing or trying to figure out how to not let all the cold in LOL
Already have a CO2 scrubber... Still dropping to high 7.8/ low 7.9 at night... Hits 8.1 almost 8.2 during day on good days. I dose kalk throughout day, don't run calcium reactor at night, run refugium on reverse light schedule... Outside Air is only thing I'm not doing lol

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not visually appealing and not possible for everyone but I ran a line into the attic for the tank in our bedroom. Attic is sealed from the living quarters and vented so it's pretty much the same as outside air. My low in the morning was 7.9 with the airline I'm 8.3 in the morning so it made a big difference. In all honesty tho that tank has been in our bedroom for several years and I had never tested pH and everything was fine. Only reason I even bothered to test is because I found a Hanna pH checker I forgot I even had.

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already have a CO2 scrubber... Still dropping to high 7.8/ low 7.9 at night... Hits 8.1 almost 8.2 during day on good days. I dose kalk throughout day, don't run calcium reactor at night, run refugium on reverse light schedule... Outside Air is only thing I'm not doing lol

Hahaha! Holy smokes! Thats very strange that even with kalk and co2 scrubbing struggling to keep above 7.9...

Maybe theres like a cheap window exhaust replacement for those window air cons? Then you can just kinda drill a little hole in it??

boogiesnap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gearing for similar. My initial thoughts are to find out how cable companies drill through the house and install hook up “outlets” and then run a line through the cable hole from the input of the C02 scrubber.
But then also have to figure how to get some carbon in between there to make sure no pollutants from outdoors get pumped right into the tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 87 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.2%
Back