Over-dipped and killed my new Red Dragon

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really ticked-off with myself on this one. Pieces of the Ocean sent me a beautiful, very large and nicely branched frag of Red Dragon - it is about 3.5". With all of the reading and research I've done on this board and the Web, somehow I never have read that smooth skin acros are very sensitive to dipping solution.

I know that now the hard way. I left it in Revive for about 8 minutes because it was the last frag I pulled out, having to remount a few of the others I had bought. I'm pretty sure I have damaged a Needle in the Haystack frag as well, but I'm crossing my fingers on that one.

Here are the before and afters. Only about eight hours from one shot to the other. I feel like crap but hopefully another noob sees this and doesn't repeat my error.

pPps8yAh.jpg

yr1Ogkoh.jpg

ReeferRoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the hobby about a year now, I tried several dips, including revive.

I saw a lot of things make it past the dips and also saw how much the dips stressed all the types of corals I had purchased in my first few months. Around the time of Reefapalooza NY last year I knew I was going to do a big buy so I decided I would buy some cheap local frags of zoa, LPS, SPS/ Acro's and try my hand at doing a bayer dip.

I was very surprised how many hitch hikers fell off and how little stress all of the different types of corals showed.

So I gambled and with over $600 in frags I dipped everything I bought at reefapalooza with bayer SW mix. Everything came out happy and healthy and in some cases some frags were in the dip for more than 10 minutes, ;Facepalm ,as I was dipping them in batches, rising, de-plugging, re-plugging, etc. Within an hour at most of everything hitting the coral QT everything was opening up with no coloring issues or tissue damage.

Follow up orders from WWC which summed over 1K included a bunch of acros, were all dipped with bayer and all survived.

I am a bayer believer from here on out, but that is my personal preference based on my meager 1 year experience.

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the hobby about a year now, I tried several dips, including revive.

I saw a lot of things make it past the dips and also saw how much the dips stressed all the types of corals I had purchased in my first few months. Around the time of Reefapalooza NY last year I knew I was going to do a big buy so I decided I would buy some cheap local frags of zoa, LPS, SPS/ Acro's and try my hand at doing a bayer dip.

I was very surprised how many hitch hikers fell off and how little stress all of the different types of corals showed.

So I gambled and with over $600 in frags I dipped everything I bought at reefapalooza with bayer SW mix. Everything came out happy and healthy and in some cases some frags were in the dip for more than 10 minutes, ;Facepalm ,as I was dipping them in batches, rising, de-plugging, re-plugging, etc. Within an hour at most of everything hitting the coral QT everything was opening up with no coloring issues or tissue damage.

Follow up orders from WWC which summed over 1K included a bunch of acros, were all dipped with bayer and all survived.

I am a bayer believer from here on out, but that is my personal preference based on my meager 1 year experience.

What was the Bayer / water ratio? Thanks

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make my water milky white with Bayer so my coral look blurry in the water but I can still see them There's no set amount. I believe most people do anywhere from 3-5ml per cup of water.

ReeferRoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the Bayer / water ratio? Thanks

I will check tonight what I use, I have the ratio written down in a note book and its been a few months since I added any corals. I will post a response later tonight.

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Needle in the Haystack ended up cooked as well. I spoke with Pieces of the Ocean using their chat function on their website (very convenient). They have more frags of each available and I re-ordered.

Live and learn - make mistakes and try not to repeat them. It's not like I haven't done it before - I had a practice wife before the one I have now and it's worked out for 18 years! :p

nashorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had aefw I notice dipping in revive would irritate them immediately and they would wiggle go off and die.
I used bayer once and it took a lot longer to fall off. I dip in revive no more then a few mins.
Hope it comes back

jimmyzhou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every day is learning day!
Make me feels like going back to school!
Haha love it.
But sorry for the loss. At less we learn some thin

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of the smooth skinned acros will do better in Bayer than in Coral Rx or Revive. They can survive in Revive if they are super healthy and have not just been shipped, but it really stresses them out.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man that stinks!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.4%
Back