Over run with BTAs. Idea but need advise.

Dorking It

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank that I took over a few months ago. The previous owner added 1, yes 1 and I now have a hundred of various sizes. I have been scraping them gently off my rock work but I am getting frustrated. I have alot of frags around the tank waiting to get mounted but I can't. I have this rock that has approx 30 on it.
20231107_190217.jpg

20231107_190025.jpg

Can I take it out and place over container with saltwater in it so the drop into the water? How long can this rock be out of water before I damage the biology of the rock?

Any tips would be great. I have thought about the "cannon" with pvc but want to get this bunch off so I can focus on the others.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have a tank that I took over a few months ago. The previous owner added 1, yes 1 and I now have a hundred of various sizes. I have been shaping them gently off my rock work but I am getting frustrated. I have alit of frags around the tank waiting to get mounted but I can't. I have this rock that has approx 30 on it.
20231107_190217.jpg

20231107_190025.jpg

Can I take it out and place over container with saltwater in it so the drop into the water? How long can this rock be out of water before I damage the biology of the rock?

Any tips would be great. I have thought about the "cannon" with pvc but want to get this bunch off so I can focus on the others.
These guys split often. I had same issue and got rid of them
Direct water flow towards them and they will loosen or place ice cube at its foot and again they will retract muscles and loosen

OP
OP
Dorking It

Dorking It

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys split often. I had same issue and got rid of them
Direct water flow towards them and they will loosen or place ice cube at its foot and again they will retract muscles and loosen
The problem is most of the feet are in the rocks, I have removed most that I can get at the foot. Can I still ice if I can't get to the foot? Use ice out of the freezer with tap water?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank that I took over a few months ago. The previous owner added 1, yes 1 and I now have a hundred of various sizes. I have been shaping them gently off my rock work but I am getting frustrated. I have alit of frags around the tank waiting to get mounted but I can't. I have this rock that has approx 30 on it.
20231107_190217.jpg

20231107_190025.jpg

Yes, you can take the rock out and let the nems drop off. The rock should be fine out of the water for 20-30 minutes at least...

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is most of the feet are in the rocks, I have removed most that I can get at the foot. Can I still ice if I can't get to the foot? Use ice out of the freezer with tap water?
I would not try this method in your case. It would take too long to try to remove each individually with ice, etc. Try the upside down, out of water trick first.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea. Looks like I have some plans this weekend
It's not fast. If they have a good foothold, they can be very stubborn about letting go. I like to help them along by massaging their foot with a rounded end chopstick once they start letting go.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
regular ice yes but it melts fast. Ive never had problems removing mine

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't bother about the hang them over a bucket method, I tried that and for 2 solid hours no movement.
Try this method, works a treat and does not damage the nem or its foot.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't bother about the hang them over a bucket method, I tried that and for 2 solid hours no movement.
Try this method, works a treat and does not damage the nem or its foot.

He said in the first post that he wanted ideas other than this...

DenverSaltyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a hard time getting my nems off the rock same situation as you. the only thing that worked is making a fresh batch of salt water in a container and do not warm the water. place the entire rock in the tub for a few hours. the cold water makes them easy to peel off and you can place them in a holding basket in the tank to sell. you wont hurt the nems doing this method to get them off

OP
OP
Dorking It

Dorking It

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a hard time getting my nems off the rock same situation as you. the only thing that worked is making a fresh batch of salt water in a container and do not warm the water. place the entire rock in the tub for a few hours. the cold water makes them easy to peel off and you can place them in a holding basket in the tank to sell. you wont hurt the nems doing this method to get them off
I'll have to give this a try.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 56 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back