Over skimming problem

Gator2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a used tank set up 6 months ago and when I first set it up, the skimmer would foam over in 30 minutes. I gave up on it for a few weeks and once I had the desire, I tried placing it in different areas that had different depths. Same thing happens. Well 6 months later, I am ready to try again and have others help. It is a reef octopus 150 (I don’t remember the proper name).

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a used tank set up 6 months ago and when I first set it up, the skimmer would foam over in 30 minutes. I gave up on it for a few weeks and once I had the desire, I tried placing it in different areas that had different depths. Same thing happens. Well 6 months later, I am ready to try again and have others help. It is a reef octopus 150 (I don’t remember the proper name).
Any pictures of the unit so we can help with setup and operation?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure! Just wanted to get the thread going and then once I get home, I can take a picture and post it. Looking forward to your advice!
I use the reef octopus 110, so hopefully I'll have an answer for you :)

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Several years ago I had a RR 93g Cube with a custom 30g sump/fuge combo I made. I used the Octo Extrem 150 which did a great job in it. I then used it on a 45g GC tank with a 30g Simp I built and it did well on it. What size system are you running it on, please?

OP
OP
Gator2019

Gator2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the reef octopus 110, so hopefully I'll have an answer for you :)
I’m sorry it took so long to get back to you. I had a death in the family and in dealing with that, I completely forgot I asked a question. The skimmer is in about 8” of water and instantly overflows (within 5 minutes, so short enough it isn’t worth turning on).

image.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry it took so long to get back to you. I had a death in the family and in dealing with that, I completely forgot I asked a question. The skimmer is in about 8” of water and instantly overflows (within 5 minutes, so short enough it isn’t worth turning on).

image.jpg
Sorry for your loss. I hope all is well. My first question is have you cleaned the air intake tube recently? The tube can get gunked up and blocked causing no airflow into the pump to skim and just overflows it with water.

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hummm you have a good one, same I have and I don't have issues with mine, it produce bubbles inmediately, no issues.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The picture is too dark to tell, but it looks like something funky is going on with the air intake. Make sure it has no obstructions, and start with it wide open.

Since it is used, with unknown last cleaning, I'd pull the venturi and make sure there aren't any precipitation obstructions at where air meets water. If there is blockage there, that causes problems.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hose needs to be above water line.. can’t tell by picture but it appears to be submerged

2BF03DCA-DD0C-46E8-8B7D-13CA7A4A1DC7.jpeg

OP
OP
Gator2019

Gator2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hummm you have a good one, same I have and I don't have issues with mine, it produce bubbles inmediately, no issues.
I just got a new sump, so I think I am going to try in this one now. Crossing my fingers that it works.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 38.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back