Overcomplicating simple things...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tlledsmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As with most things in this hobby the word "acclimate" seems to get overcomplicated.

Maybe I'm alone on this but I see "acclimatization" all the time and it's very frustrating because "acclimation" is the real word and I have no idea why we keep making up variations of the word. I swear I keep hearing and seeing "acclimatizated" where "acclimated" is supposed to be. And what's worse!! "Aclimatize" used as a verb!? What? You don't acclimatize a fish. You acclimate a fish.

OK sorry for the soap box pet peave rant.

Tune in next week for my gripes on the subject of "my DT/sump overflows, so I must add valves and switches and nonsense"

What grinds your gears?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Functional; “Functionality” was created out of thin air to hide the fact that a computer program wasn’t all that special, imo.

You will need to get used to the climate of word disinformation. It seems to be the simplest way to get away with telling a whopper to confuse or deceive the masses.

Begs the question, how can we get acclimated to climate change as evolution progresses?

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What grinds your gears?

In a linguistic sense, the "melting" of media in a CaCO3/CO2 reactor tops my list of poor word choice.

I think I'm safe to speculate that no reefer has actually melted calcium carbonate in their home, and probably none have ever done it anywhere.

Upvote 0

Clarkjw2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Preventative instead of preventive.

Preventive is the correct term but you see preventative everywhere, even peer reviewed literature. Even spell check doesn't catch it.

Of course, being an entomologist in the Army I am categorized as a "preventive medicine specialty" so was taught real quick that preventative was incorrect. Otherwise, I'd never had known.

And while we're at it, what really grinds my gears is changes in spelling--like using a Z instead of an S. To this day I don't buy anything from Skimz just because of that Z! We all have our quirks!

Upvote 0

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here in Merrie England it's 'acclimatisation', and acclimation isn't a real word.

But speaking of making words more complicated, I've often wondered why, when an American house is burgled (i.e. invaded by a burglar), it is said to have been 'burglarized'. Okay, okay - I'm off topic again.

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here in Merrie England it's 'acclimatisation', and acclimation isn't a real word.

But speaking of making words more complicated, I've often wondered why, when an American house is burgled (i.e. invaded by a burglar), it is said to have been 'burglarized'. Okay, okay - I'm off topic again.

Ha, England.

i had a chem prof from somewhere in your empire who pronounced "carbonyl group" in a way that it took me weeks into the semester before I realized he wasn't saying "carbon R group", which is a very different interpretation of a chemical structure.

Upvote 0

Clarkjw2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, England.

i had a chem prof from somewhere in your empire who pronounced "carbonyl group" in a way that it took me weeks into the semester before I realized he wasn't saying "carbon R group", which is a very different interpretation of a chemical structure.
Ha! Had a Scot that used to work for me and it took me about six months to realize what she was talking about when she said "aluminum"! She always said that us Americans don't pronounce all the letters in words!

Upvote 0

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! Had a Scot that used to work for me and it took me about six months to realize what she was talking about when she said "aluminum"! She always said that us Americans don't pronounce all the letters in words!
Aluminium - you missed the second 'i'.

Aluminium, you know, like calcium, chromium, strontium, sodium, etc.. Somebody on your side of the pond spelled that one wrong. ;)

Upvote 0

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, England.

I've been whooshed...

Upvote 0

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a linguistic sense, the "melting" of media in a CaCO3/CO2 reactor tops my list of poor word choice.

I think I'm safe to speculate that no reefer has actually melted calcium carbonate in their home, and probably none have ever done it anywhere.
Randy, I spent 8 hours leaning to blow glass a few weeks ago and I am a reefer :)

Upvote 0

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As with most things in this hobby the word "acclimate" seems to get overcomplicated.

Maybe I'm alone on this but I see "acclimatization" all the time and it's very frustrating because "acclimation" is the real word and I have no idea why we keep making up variations of the word. I swear I keep hearing and seeing "acclimatizated" where "acclimated" is supposed to be. And what's worse!! "Aclimatize" used as a verb!? What? You don't acclimatize a fish. You acclimate a fish.

OK sorry for the soap box pet peave rant.

Tune in next week for my gripes on the subject of "my DT/sump overflows, so I must add valves and switches and nonsense"

What grinds your gears?
I suppose it depends on whether you are speaking/writing American or real English.

Upvote 0

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's not fight.

Prior to 1755 there was no 'correct' spelling on either side of the pond. At around the same time Samuel Johnson in the UK, and Noah Webster (I think) in the USA decided to standardise things. They just standardised things differently.

Of course, Samuel Johnson did it first, so ours is the correct way :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tlledsmar

Tlledsmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the same type of word tweaking but I enjoy the use of the phrase:
"cooking" live rock
Oh I like that one ! But yes very misleading. Imagine a newbie baking the rock or something!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tlledsmar

Tlledsmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's not fight.

Prior to 1755 there was no 'correct' spelling on either side of the pond. At around the same time Samuel Johnson in the UK, and Noah Webster (I think) in the USA decided to standardise things. They just standardised things differently.

Of course, Samuel Johnson did it first, so ours is the correct way :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
But you still conjugate verbs the same way

Upvote 0

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's not fight.

I say ******** to that….and Samuel

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%

Back