overdosed phosphate & Nitrate remover

Mermaidia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
phosphate had jumped to 0,8 & I panicked by adding
RED SEA NO3:pO4-X

realised the jump was due to feeding with reefroids.
Did a water change but cleaner shrimp died during the night, all fish looking lethargic the next day.
Did 2 more water changes. Added reefroids.
Corals look ok today but one clown fish is right at the top still moving a little but definately not OK.
Have fan in sump angled to add more air to the water.
Phosphate currently 0,8!
What can I do?

OP
OP
Mermaidia

Mermaidia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the history,
nitrate was 3
Phosphate 0.00
then i asked shop as scolly was not ok, the informed me to increase Phospahe
i added 3 ml Po 4 and reefroids
Phosphate exploded to 0.82
i panicked a assumed adding No3/p04 reducer form red sea will bring it down quick again (i had a new bottle and misread the cup i added 60 ml maybe more i ) where it should have been 6 )
result poor looking corals and fish outof air
What we have done, big water change cleaned the white stuf from windows and sump and added some reefroids and p04
result.
Corals look much better, fish look better only one anemone fish at top of tank, shrimp died
Adding extra oxyin in sump.
Result phophate is 0.7 again which is much to high
Oh and added phosban now in sump 45 gram
Our tank is 170 liters lets say 45 gallons

Last edited:

eschulist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow down

Adding things left and right to correct and then recorrect is doing more harm than good.

Also .8 P04 isn't that much. It seems like a lot when compared to the recommended value of .02 but I can run .7-1.0 often without issues.

Yes having absolutely zero P04 is going to be bad and adding some nutrients to the water is going to be a good thing. But slow down. There was no reason to dump in liquid phosphate and then add NoPox to immediately try to remove it. You really need to read up on what NoPox is and how it works. Its a carbon dosing method to reduce Nitrate and Phosphate by fueling bacteria. You are in essence adding sugar fuel to the tank and the bacteria population eats it. This causes the population to grow and uptake more nutrients. After multiple doses over weeks it causes levels to drop. Expecting magic bullets to fix issues within hours is adding stress and disrupting the balance of the water.

The easiest and best thing to do is just large water changes to get back to a solid base. Then once you've changed a large percentage of the water let it sit for a few days and slowly adjust your maintenance to get towards your levels you hope to maintain.

OP
OP
Mermaidia

Mermaidia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks guys, the fish are more active this morning incl. the clown fish that was looking on deaths door. Fingers crossed & will not make rash decisions again.
Good to know that 0,8 is not so terrible.
Phew

p1u5h13r4m24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave things alone. People panic and try to fix issues. In doing so they just create swings in water chemistry which is the worst thing you can do. It’s very easy to do that with smaller tanks.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow down

Adding things left and right to correct and then recorrect is doing more harm than good.

Also .8 P04 isn't that much. It seems like a lot when compared to the recommended value of .02 but I can run .7-1.0 often without issues.

Yes having absolutely zero P04 is going to be bad and adding some nutrients to the water is going to be a good thing. But slow down. There was no reason to dump in liquid phosphate and then add NoPox to immediately try to remove it. You really need to read up on what NoPox is and how it works. Its a carbon dosing method to reduce Nitrate and Phosphate by fueling bacteria. You are in essence adding sugar fuel to the tank and the bacteria population eats it. This causes the population to grow and uptake more nutrients. After multiple doses over weeks it causes levels to drop. Expecting magic bullets to fix issues within hours is adding stress and disrupting the balance of the water.

The easiest and best thing to do is just large water changes to get back to a solid base. Then once you've changed a large percentage of the water let it sit for a few days and slowly adjust your maintenance to get towards your levels you hope to maintain.
Solid advice!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 175 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back