Overfeeding?

Zestfullyclean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I have a new 180g tank that has been setup and running since March 19th. Second time around in the hobby after about six years off so kind of trying to get back in the swing of things.

Tank is doing great so far and all tester corals added are doing good and look great.

I’m concerned my No3 and Po4 needs to be raised but not sure if I should really worry about it. I know this has been discussed on here in the past so sorry for posting anything redundant. I wanted to see to what level I should consider overfeeding the tank. I’ve tried to overfeed the past few weeks by feeding three frozen Mysis cubes each day but my nitrate and phosphate are still bottomed out at zero.

I have four Bimac Anthias and one Blotchy Anthia currently. The three cubes seems to be more than enough on what they will eat when I feed them but should I be doing more? I have a CUC of (20) trochus snails and three urchins.

The tank seems to be doing great with no algae issues. I had an initial diatom bloom for about a week right after the cycle and read No3 at 2.3 and Po4 at .05. Did a couple weekly 10% water changes over the next two weeks and now have been bottomed out at zero nitrates and phosphates for a month or so.
858B9F9E-58FD-4481-B08D-CE1529E1D721.jpeg
I stopped doing water changes which I had planned on doing weekly but thought there is not really a need since my parameters are all okay and I want to increase nitrates and phosphates.

Not sure if I’m just overthinking it and if I should just not worry since all looks good but just wanted to see if there was any feedback on if my three Mysis cubes per day sounds like it’s enough for my 180g tank or if I should up that a bit. I have my full parameters below.

Thanks!

DKH: 8.6
CA: 430
PH: 8.3
MG: 1465
NO3: 0.0
PO4: 0.0

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you might be overthinking this because you seem to be trying to run the tank by numbers rather than accepting that the tank is cruising well atm.

First question is what test kits are you using to conclude zero N&P?

The input of 3 cubes is not zero (N&P) so if it is measuring zero the coral and substrate and other biotic elements must be collecting it or your test kits are not able to detect low levels?

More importantly, “Spaghetti again?”:)
I like to feed my anthias (and all my other fishes) a diet with fresh and frozen pods, whole chopped clams and oysters, mysis+spirulina, brine shrimp +spirulina, and provide them with energy and nutrients, not just food. 3 cubes a day is more than enough, maybe even two much but more variety is needed for fish health imo.
Hth! The new tank looks good.

OP
OP
Z

Zestfullyclean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you might be overthinking this because you seem to be trying to run the tank by numbers rather than accepting that the tank is cruising well atm.

The input of 3 cubes is not zero (N&P) so if it is measuring zero the coral and substrate and other biotic elements must be collecting it or your test kits are not able to detect low levels?

I like to feed my anthias (and all my other fishes) a diet with fresh and frozen pods, whole chopped clams and oysters, mysis+spirulina, brine shrimp +spirulina, and provide them with energy and nutrients, not just food. 3 cubes a day is more than enough, maybe even two much but more variety is needed for fish health imo.

Yeah, thought I might be overthinking it. For some reason just was focused on the numbers too much and I’ve read so many things about bottoming out nitrate and phosphates leading to issues.

I use the Hanna low range phosphate and Hanna high range for nitrate testing.
Are these accurate for N&P testing?

Great info on the feeding for the Anthias. I’ll start to mix that up and give them more to enjoy!

Thanks for the feedback! Love being back in the hobby and learning from this community!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, thought I might be overthinking it. For some reason just was focused on the numbers too much and I’ve read so many things about bottoming out nitrate and phosphates leading to issues.

I use the Hanna low range phosphate and Hanna high range for nitrate testing.
Are these accurate for N&P testing?

Great info on the feeding for the Anthias. I’ll start to mix that up and give them more to enjoy!

Thanks for the feedback! Love being back in the hobby and learning from this community!
Hanna is good enough. Hopefully with more items in the diet the N&P will also start giving you readings. It is interesting that they are so low but eventually I would expect them to rise up a bit.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back