overflow and return pipe size??

boxersreef23

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 30, 2011
Messages
30
Reaction score
0
Location
chuluota, fl
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank is not drilled and i have been slowly working on getting an overflow box and sump and return pump now its time to start plumbing and i am wondering what size pipe i need ...the head height of my tank is 6'6" give or take an inch the overflow box is drilled with a 1" already my return pump is an ehiem 1262 310.. so if i use a 1" for overflow what would or could i use for the return? 1/2" is what im hoping

thanks in advance
 
I would use 1" personally.... I have never used anything less than 1.5" on a drain "and I use 2 or 3 for the drains" and 1" to 1.5" for a return.... Less resistance means better flow and less energy usage just savings all around...;)
 
I agree, try to go with the 3/4" return line, the bigger the pipe the less resistance to flow.
and lower velocity coming out of the nozzle less likely to cause damage to corals. High flow at a low velocity is the way to go.
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new