Overflow drain question

JAnders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just purchased a new house and finally get to setup my 125 gallon (woohoo)! The house is a split level and I'll be putting the 125 g on the first floor, it will back up to a wall that is connected to the crawlspace (huge space that I'm pretty excited about).

My question: I'm looking to purchase my overlfow, I'm leaning towards Exotic Marine System, it comes with a 1.5" drain. I think would normally be what I want that size drain, however my concern is with the 8` drop to the crawlspace, will that be too large of a drain? Should I get a 1" instead?

For what it's worth. I currently have a EHeim 5000 & a Skimz Leapord L75 pumps.

I'm still a relative rookie at this stuff, so I'm sure I'm not providing enough detail. Let me know things of consideration I'm not thinking of.

I appreciate the input.
Thanks,
Jason

Last edited:
OP
OP
JAnders

JAnders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasnt sure if the longer than normal vertical distance of the drain would increase the suction and be an issue on 1.5" vs 1". Will my concern just be addressed with a valve and a stong enough return pumps?

As you can see I'm no plumber.

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The opposite actually. The narrower pipe can fill and then become a syphon which will create a repeated toilet flushing effect. The bigger pipe is less likely to syphon. This all only matters if your pump can overwhelm the drain. Either way you might want to search Herbie/Bean Animal style overflow to achieve something closer to silent.

OP
OP
JAnders

JAnders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense, yes the plan is to absolutely use a bean/animal style. Thank you!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 148 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 121 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 14.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back