Overflow Help Needed

bexlc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody know the cheapest way to plumb multiple tanks into one sump? I have a bunch of holding tanks that I want to drill out and connect to a common sump, but holy crap are overflows expensive! Overflow kits are over $100 each. There's no way that I'm spending $600 just to get the water from point A to point B. I'm not particularly worried about noise as it isn't my DT. Anybody have any thoughts on how to accomplish this on the cheap? They aren't big tanks, just some 10g, 29g, 40g, and 75gs. Also, I'm not the most handy, so try to explain any plumbing jargon like you're talking to a five year old lol.

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say purchase a quality diamond hole saw drill bit (1.5” should work with the 10, 29, and 40 for 3/4” plumbing) and then purchase large orders of bulkheads, unions, pvc, elbows to save on costs. And purchase some cheap overflow boxes from like eBay and silicone them yourself.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size sump?
You really need to think through how you intend to balance the water flow among the DTs and the sump, and, god forbid, avoid a sump oveerflow if one of the tanks misbehaves or if a power failure occurs. In a one DT one sump setup, the sump often has enough capacity to handle several gallons of extra water until the overflow siphon is broken. I think implementing one sump for multiple tanks would have some challenges unless its capacity for temporary excessive overflow is huge.

Joey the DIY King has some good examples of DIY over the top overflows made from PVC pipes that are cost effective. He has them on youtube.

D4jack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody know the cheapest way to plumb multiple tanks into one sump? I have a bunch of holding tanks that I want to drill out and connect to a common sump, but holy crap are overflows expensive! Overflow kits are over $100 each. There's no way that I'm spending $600 just to get the water from point A to point B. I'm not particularly worried about noise as it isn't my DT. Anybody have any thoughts on how to accomplish this on the cheap? They aren't big tanks, just some 10g, 29g, 40g, and 75gs. Also, I'm not the most handy, so try to explain any plumbing jargon like you're talking to a five year old lol.
I used a 3" pvc drain elbow for the overflow, and some 1" conduit thread adapters for my bulkhead. A 1 1/4" diamond core bit from Amazon (the cheapest one). I trimmed the adapters down so they had a lower profile and used a rubber o ring on the outside. The whole thing cost under $15 with the diamond bit included. Don't be afraid of drilling just make a template, keep it wet, and go slowly. It takes about 10 minutes a cut.

Attachments

• 20210206_004151.mp4
    8.8 MB
  • 20210125_123245_04.mp4
    2.2 MB
  • 20210125_123608.jpg
    20210125_123608.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20210218-131904_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20210218-131904_Photos.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 20

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size sump?
You really need to think through how you intend to balance the water flow among the DTs and the sump, and, god forbid, avoid a sump oveerflow if one of the tanks misbehaves or if a power failure occurs. In a one DT one sump setup, the sump often has enough capacity to handle several gallons of extra water until the overflow siphon is broken. I think implementing one sump for multiple tanks would have some challenges unless its capacity for temporary excessive overflow is huge.

Joey the DIY King has some good examples of DIY over the top overflows made from PVC pipes that are cost effective. He has them on youtube.
Just to add about the back siphon, take the reading without check valves or plumb emergency overflow from sump to a small holding tank you manually pump back into system after problem is fixed.. idk I was just thinking about that for a situation..good luck sounds awsome!

OP
OP
bexlc

bexlc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say purchase a quality diamond hole saw drill bit (1.5” should work with the 10, 29, and 40 for 3/4” plumbing) and then purchase large orders of bulkheads, unions, pvc, elbows to save on costs. And purchase some cheap overflow boxes from like eBay and silicone them yourself.
Do I need overflow boxes or could I just use something like the LifeGuard Aquatics overflow strainer (I'm not really sure what size I would need)? Any reputable places to buy pvc parts in bulk?

1613689628791.png

OP
OP
bexlc

bexlc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size sump?

I appreciate the heads up. I did take this into account. I'll be using the big storage totes as a sudo sump with an overflow from one tote into another in the event of too much backflow into the system.

OP
OP
bexlc

bexlc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a 3" pvc drain elbow for the overflow, and some 1" conduit thread adapters for my bulkhead. A 1 1/4" diamond core bit from Amazon (the cheapest one). I trimmed the adapters down so they had a lower profile and used a rubber o ring on the outside. The whole thing cost under $15 with the diamond bit included. Don't be afraid of drilling just make a template, keep it wet, and go slowly. It takes about 10 minutes a cut.
This is actually a really cool idea that I hadn't thought of, using the pvc elbow as an overflow! I may try a couple of these to see how I like it. Awesome idea!

OP
OP
bexlc

bexlc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any thoughts on the best way to plumb to get flow to all of the tanks through a single return line? I suspect that I will run into issues where one tank ends up getting more water than the others. Theoretically, if they are horizontal, with a horizontal pipe behind them with a single pipe down to the return pump... idk, I just feel like I'm going to run into problems.

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I need overflow boxes or could I just use something like the LifeGuard Aquatics overflow strainer (I'm not really sure what size I would need)? Any reputable places to buy pvc parts in bulk?

1613689628791.png
I’ve never seen those but I don’t see a problem with it as long as you’re getting enough drainage for at least 3-5x turnover

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any thoughts on the best way to plumb to get flow to all of the tanks through a single return line? I suspect that I will run into issues where one tank ends up getting more water than the others. Theoretically, if they are horizontal, with a horizontal pipe behind them with a single pipe down to the return pump... idk, I just feel like I'm going to run into problems.
you could probably set up in and out manifolds for the sump, each with individual valves for each display tank. From each manifold to the sump use the largest diameter pipe you can fit (1-1/2, 2, even 3) to make sure they can handle the volume of water you seek. I imagine you will have to do a lot of fine tuning to get each display tank like you want it.

D4jack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a ball valve before each tank and adjust accordingly.

D4jack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want a single return? Each tank has to be at least 2 inches lower than the other in order. The water must flow into one and drain through the next. So on and so on.

D4jack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a 20 hex sump like this. This would be basically what your trying to do.

Attachments

• 20210219_203412.jpg
    20210219_203412.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210219_203500.jpg
    20210219_203500.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 27

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 133 66.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.0%
Back