Overflow noise when lower return pump output

SundownReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my Syncra 7.0 running at 70% and the precision gate valve for the overflow dialed in, it’s all completely silent until I change modes on the pump (like wave mode etc.) where the output drops and at night if I want to turn it down to let’s say 20%, the overflow gets loud without adjusting the overflow valve for the lesser pump output.

Is it normal to constantly adjust the overflow to keep it quiet when the return pump output increases and decreases? Anyone have any tips or suggestions?

it’s a waterbox 130.4 with the precision gate valve.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you change the return pump speed, it changes the whole dynamics of the sump. The amount of water flowing in to the sump remains the same until the water level in the display tank balances out to the new return flow, so no, when you tuned it, the system expects the water level to remain consistent between the two tanks.

OP
OP
S

SundownReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured with all the advanced settings some return pumps come with, someone’s figured out how to utilize them without additional noise from the overflow. I guess I’ll stick to using powerheads for different flow modes.

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Turn your wave pumps down but I wouldn't mess with your return flow. It alters with when your auto top turns on or off.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back