Overflow options

gazzaza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

I’ve just purchased a second hand 5ft glass tank. The tank came with 2 inch holes drilled in the top left and right corners (one hole in each corner). The previous owner didn’t have any covers/internal boxes covering the holes. Ideally I’d like to install a bean animal system. Is it going to be worth the effort making an external box that attaches to one of the corner holes or will having a single outlet plumbed into my sump be sufficient? If I was to add an external box the hole wouldn’t be centered in the box. I could use both holes as overflows but I’m wanting to use the one as an inlet so that I don’t have to hang the pipes over the edge. Advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have several options. If you want to use one hole as a return, then go ahead. There’s nothing requiring the external box to be centered in the holes. My last tank was offset to make alignments easier. Or, you can use both existing as returns and drill for a new box.

Regarding BeanAnimal vs Herbie, I’m one for redundancy and fail safes. I would recommend a Bean but at a minimum think a Herbie would work fine too.

Back