overflow piping

  • Thread starter Thread starter fernalfer
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 15, 2016
Messages
1,067
Reaction score
342
Location
Southington Ct.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my tank used and they came with the original durso tpye piping. Both the drain and the return for dual overflows. Now the PVC is not the thicker schedule 40 piping its the thinner version. Is this ok or should i change them over to the schedule 40 PVC?
 
Really doesn't matter. The thinner PVC is still rated at 125 psi working pressure so much stronger than you will ever need in an aquarium where you may see 2-3 psi maximum. One advantage of the class 125 thinwall is it has a larger inside diameter so has less headloss at the same GPH as the thicker Sch 40 or 80 pipe. Most people use Sch 40 because it is more common and found everywhere. Both class 125 and Sch 40 use the same couplings, fittings and valves since they have the same outside diameter.
 
I agree with AZDessertRat I have used thinner PVC many times and it works just fine. Only time I even had an issue was when my son was small and decided to beat on the pipe with a toy hammer and caused it to crack down the pipe. Since then I have used Sch40 but thats a very rare case where it would make a difference dont let your kid play in the sump area and it will never be an issue. My son is a little older now so I might use it again on my next tank build this weekend all depends on what the home of the depots has to offer.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new