overflow piping

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my tank used and they came with the original durso tpye piping. Both the drain and the return for dual overflows. Now the PVC is not the thicker schedule 40 piping its the thinner version. Is this ok or should i change them over to the schedule 40 PVC?

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really doesn't matter. The thinner PVC is still rated at 125 psi working pressure so much stronger than you will ever need in an aquarium where you may see 2-3 psi maximum. One advantage of the class 125 thinwall is it has a larger inside diameter so has less headloss at the same GPH as the thicker Sch 40 or 80 pipe. Most people use Sch 40 because it is more common and found everywhere. Both class 125 and Sch 40 use the same couplings, fittings and valves since they have the same outside diameter.

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with AZDessertRat I have used thinner PVC many times and it works just fine. Only time I even had an issue was when my son was small and decided to beat on the pipe with a toy hammer and caused it to crack down the pipe. Since then I have used Sch40 but thats a very rare case where it would make a difference dont let your kid play in the sump area and it will never be an issue. My son is a little older now so I might use it again on my next tank build this weekend all depends on what the home of the depots has to offer.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 11.1%
Back