Overflow Plumbing Advice

aileen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, so I'm getting back in the game after a 4 year break and picked up this frag tank. 48x24x16. I built a stand and using a Rubbermaid sump to add volume.

The frag tank has two drains with no overflow box as you can see. The bulkheads are exposed in the tank with vent covers. They are 1 1/2 drains. There are two returns that are 3/4 inch. I'm used to have a overflow box with a Durso standpipe. Can I just plumb the drains to empty directly into the sump? I have a feeling the way this is setup will create a full siphon with lots of gurgling noises currently, am I wrong?

Thanks for the help in advance! Love this forum!

IMG_3160.JPG

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think neither of the drains will create a full siphon. Full siphons are dead quiet, no air in the pipes. For a drain that's open to air to be quiet it can only have enough flow to keep the water clinging to the sides of the pipe so the air will be one long column in the center of the pipe down to the sump. So I think you CAN get it quiet but it won't be at the flowrate you want probably. So yes, I think that setup will generate some noise. With an added overflow box you can make a herbie or beananimal style drain that will be quiet though.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those Drains will either have to be very slow flow or will be very loud.. I would install a over flow box on each of them. At this point it would be very easy to do at this time..

OP
OP
A

aileen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is an overflow box a must have? I'm just wondering why? I get it skims the top of the water column but any other reasons?

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They also keep critters and other loose things away from the strong suction at the opening of the drain pipe. The teeth divides the flow over a much larger area.

K. Steven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put ball valves on your drains and tune them to a full siphon. Just periodically check your overflow screens to make sure they don't get clogged. These are essentially acting as overflow box teeth, keeping things out.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the over flow box is Almost a must... It regulates the water level of the tank , Ie overflows the amount of water back into the sump that your pump pushes up. It prevents the water from over flowing the top of the tank but keeps it at a level just below the top. You can do this with a pipe at the surface but its noisy

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn your inside strainer upwards and it will help skim the surface. Also...I wouldn't advise putting valves in if you only have siphon lines...because eventually, you will wind up overflowing the tank. I would only run a full siphon if you have a three pipe setup, with one being siphon, one being a secondary, and the third as an emergency. You could do it with two, but the third does add some safety.

OP
OP
A

aileen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two drains plumbed separate and two returns plumbed together with a valve to slow the flow of I want. It's a 80g rimless I'm only going 700gph for return rate just under 10x per hour.

IMG_3164.JPG

OP
OP
A

aileen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The caps on the drains are each drill with a 1/4 hole to prevent a siphon issue

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ohh if this tank is in your basement then you will be fine in the original picture with the screens . It will be loud and gurgle but no biggie down there

OP
OP
A

aileen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the display on the other side of the wall. Once walls and floor are done display is going up and will be tied to same sump. Display is 200g

IMG_3155.JPG

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back