Overflow Plumbing

Easdem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I'm getting into the hobby and I am soon to be plumbing my 65 gallon tank. I've watched about a million videos on Youtube and I think that generally folks tend to complicate their designs just to look cool? I don't know. For example, one could plumb the return pump with spa line (and use PVC fittings) that is flexible enough to avoid a million 90 degree connectors and retain the most flow one could, but I get the use of them. Clean things up and make room to work.

The one I do not understand is the practice of putting a gate valve on the overflow pipe before it goes down into the sump. I do not get why the purpose of this at all...Can someone explain this one to me? Why would one ever want to restrict the down flow with a valve? If down flow volume is a problem, slow the pump down.

Thanks!!

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gate valve allows you to match the amount of water going down the drain to the amount of water the return pump is pushing into the tank. Without it you'll probably have a lot more water going down and you'll have all kinds of noise going on.

OP
OP
E

Easdem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gate valve allows you to match the amount of water going down the drain to the amount of water the return pump is pushing into the tank. Without it you'll probably have a lot more water going down and you'll have all kinds of noise going on.
But the amount of water going down should be matched by the amount that the pump is sending up, thats where the overflow comes from, right?

If you restrict the drain, then you are draining less flow rate than you are pumping up. Sounds like a recipe for spillage to me. I would rather restrict the flow of the pump...Especially if my tank doesn't have an "emergency" drain system.

But I am new at this,

Thoughts?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hi,

The one I do not understand is the practice of putting a gate valve on the overflow pipe before it goes down into the sump. I do not get why the purpose of this at all...Can someone explain this one to me? Why would one ever want to restrict the down flow with a valve? If down flow volume is a problem, slow the pump down.

Thanks!!

You use a gate valve on a drain line only if you have more than one drain line.
With the herbie design, ( 2 drains) you use one of the lines as a emergency drain.
The other has a valve on it that you dial down until only water is flowing through it.
When air and water mix in the drain line it creates noise.
The purpose is to restrict it only enough so only water is in it.
Then the other drain line serves as a drain if the balance changes up.
But if you don't mind the noise, then all this is pointless.
Myself, I like don't like listening to the water drain.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gate valve as mentioned above is ONLY to be used for Herbie or Beananimal set ups which have secondary and emergency drains to avoid any flooding mishaps. The PRIMARY purpose of using the gate valve on the drain line is to tune your overflow system to run SILENTLY by purging all of the air out of the primary drain.

Gate valves are not to be used for single drain Durso set ups, found in traditional corner or tower overflow “reef ready” tanks, as that‘s an accident waiting to happen. You NEVER want any restrictions in the only drain in your system. These set ups tend to be noisy because of the interaction of the air that gets sucked down the drain. To remedy this noise, you can use a Stockman Standpipe or a Maggie Muffler to reduce the noise of your single drain set up.

In either case, the flow rate going through your system will always be determined by your return pump and how you have that dialed in,

Last edited:

krbshappy71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this posting, and for the links everyone provided. My hubby is good with plumbing but the "why?" will definitely come up as we go along the process, probably from myself. ;) Now at least I'll possibly understand while he is doing it all.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.4%
Back