Overflow Plumbing

zab34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to quiet down my overflow. Right now, there is only one Durso standpipe inside of the overflow box. Would it be a better option to convert one of the return lines to a full siphon or drill a hole in the back of the overflow and install a bulkhead for a full siphon drain line (purple box)? Obviously the first option is easier but am open to other ideas.

ref1.png ref2.png

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to quiet down my overflow. Right now, there is only one Durso standpipe inside of the overflow box. Would it be a better option to convert one of the return lines to a full siphon or drill a hole in the back of the overflow and install a bulkhead for a full siphon drain line (purple box)? Obviously the first option is easier but am open to other ideas.

ref1.png ref2.png
Yes to the first option!
What size tank?

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First option seems the simplest. My question would be if it will cause a slurping sound, will water drain faster than the rate of the pump & potential overflow the sump, needing ball or gate valves? Just some questions to consider & prepare for. Curious to know if the sound your trying to quiet is the sound of water crashing inside the plumbing as it drains or gurgle/slurp as it pulls air from the top of the drain?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First option seems the simplest. My question would be if it will cause a slurping sound, will water drain faster than the rate of the pump & potential overflow the sump, needing ball or gate valves? Just some questions to consider & prepare for. Curious to know if the sound your trying to quiet is the sound of water crashing inside the plumbing as it drains or gurgle/slurp as it pulls air from the top of the drain?
Yes. If you run a Herbie (or Bean) drain system, the full siphon pipe has a gate valve to adjust the drain speed.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The drains can’t run faster than the return because the water flowing in is what raise the water level over the lip to be able to drain out. If more drains out than what’s coming in, the water level lowers and stops.

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The drains can’t run faster than the return because the water flowing in is what raise the water level over the lip to be able to drain out. If more drains out than what’s coming in, the water level lowers and stops.
I see what you mean, I didn’t word it probably. If the flow of returning water is faster than what the drain pipe can handle, it will gurgle because water wants to rush down the drain but the drain pipe is not have a large enough diameter to handle the volume of water trying to head down the pipe & find a lower level. As water tries to drain, air needs to pull in order to allow a smooth flow of water, hope all that makes sense & why I word it with water draining faster. Drain can also create noise if the diameter of the drain pipe is too large but it’s more of an echoing effect of water traveling through the large pipe. Gotta find a medium between the flow of water being pushed up from the sump & the diameter of the drain pipe.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what you mean, I didn’t word it probably. If the flow of returning water is faster than what the drain pipe can handle, it will gurgle because water wants to rush down the drain but the drain pipe is not have a large enough diameter to handle the volume of water trying to head down the pipe & find a lower level. As water tries to drain, air needs to pull in order to allow a smooth flow of water, hope all that makes sense & why I word it with water draining faster. Drain can also create noise if the diameter of the drain pipe is too large but it’s more of an echoing effect of water traveling through the large pipe. Gotta find a medium between the flow of water being pushed up from the sump & the diameter of the drain pipe.
To be transparent, when you say “handle the flow” you’re actually saying “hande the flow quietly” which is not the same thing. I do agree that pipes have a flow range where they flow silently based on the size and route. Each system is slightly different.

FSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the bulkhead the Durso is currently in? A 1" can't handle much flow silently, but a 1.5" can handle a few hundred gph before it starts making too much noise. Is it a straight standpipe like the picture, or does it have a tee+elbow or other "silencer?"

Is it the Durso drain itself causing the noise, or is it the water passing over the weir/overflow?

What size are the returns? I wouldn't use one for the siphon (no skimming), but you could use one as a dry emergency no problem if it's big enough.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ref1.png ref2.png
I got a question

Screenshot_20221115_131945_Chrome.jpg

Is this how your tank is setup?

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be transparent, when you say “handle the flow” you’re actually saying “hande the flow quietly” which is not the same thing. I do agree that pipes have a flow range where they flow silently based on the size and route. Each system is slightly different.
Ok, your responses have me confused now. I guess I can’t convey my personal experience & understanding. You used quotation marks stating that I said “handle the flow”, then again somehow tried to quote me saying “handle the flow quietly” when no where in the 2 post I have in this thread can you find those exact quotes & claim that I said such things so I’m confused now, not quite sure how you’re interpreting things. Im only sharing knowledge with the OP to help him in solving his problems. A fellow reefer needs help & I will extend my hand to help. I’m not understanding where you’re coming from or your intentions but I hope you can offer the OP some expert advice in helping solve the problem.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back