• Total voters

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

As most of you probably know I’m in the process of a very slow build. I’ve decided I’m going to get my tank from Glass Cages as the size I’m going with (84x25x25) is significantly less than other manufacturers, and their record for CS is impecable under @Joe Glass Cages.

As I’m contemplating the tank I’ll be buying from Joe, I find myself debating about the overflow. Specifically internal vs external. For some reason I find myself drawn towards external, and I’m not sure exactly why. So is there any benefit of one style vs the other? And if so, what?

also, what are good options for external overflows?

thanks all!

Last edited:

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you get an external hob, that thing has to constantly be siphoning. One break in the siphon and the overflow wont work properly. I opted for internal, with an overflow box from EShopps. EShopps, Fiji Cube, CPR, all are good choices.

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the same boat as you. I prefer the externals, mainly b/c it looks cleaner and doesn't take up much space in the tank. Not sure if some of the internals actually block flow or whatever but there is an argument to be made. I think for me it is more aesthetics as long as all other factors are equal.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I need to clarify. When I say external I mean the overflow box being on the outside. Not HOB.

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the same boat as you. I prefer the externals, mainly b/c it looks cleaner and doesn't take up much space in the tank. Not sure if some of the internals actually block flow or whatever but there is an argument to be made. I think for me it is more aesthetics as long as all other factors are equal.

Like I said, if that siphon breaks on the external overflow and you don't have a pump up there constantly making sure the siphon isn't broken, you could be in big trouble. Internal you never have that issue.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never pulled the trigger on a Glass Cages 96" x 24 x 24" tank because it could not be delivered to my home. But I had settled on getting it drilled for the Synergy external overflow, if I remember correctly. Enjoy your new tank!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
External if you have room behind the tank. Such as a tank thats bulit in with tank room in the back. Easy to adjust the drain valves, clean the over flow ect....
Coast to coast is a good option with a bean animal drain to sump.

Overflow_on.jpg

SAWFISH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally prefer a centered internal overflow. I just don’t care for the look of pipes sticking out of my tank in the case of external overflows. But I also don’t have a dedicated room behind my tank for the sump and equipment. If that were the case I would do an external ovefflow directly to the sump room. But since I dont have a sump room I stick with centered internal overflows. I dont like the look of corner overflows because they cover up some of the side view, which is one of my favorite views of the tank

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an internal this time on my 60 cube.

My next tank I will have an external because I keep the tank far enough away from the wall to accommodate it and tanks have much cleaner lines without the internal compartment.

It really depends on if you want the tank close to the wall.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm. I didn’t think about the proximity to the wall.

very glad I created this thread lol

NinjaTiLL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose the Innovative Marine 75Ext because I wanted an un-obstructed interior for ease of flow and maintenance. With the overflow almost touching the wall, it makes the tank have about a 4 inch gap between the wall and the main tank. I definitely recommend the healthy gap to help with keeping salt creep away from the wall and it gives plenty of room to maneuver plumbing, electrical and accessory mounts (such as the Kessil rigid mounting arms and the Avast Plank auto-feeder).

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking at overflows for the last week since I'm planning on a new tank. I built my current overflow and have found that having the water level in the rear box close to the tank level makes the overflow very quiet. Most rear boxes are set up being lower than tank level. Modular Marine talks about how their rear box is designed higher to minimize noise. I was ready to check out with the 1600 gph until I saw the $32 shipping charge. Fiji Cube was another choice, but the rear box needs to, again, be higher to be able to minimize noise while being able to set the emergency high enough.

I gave up and just ordered the acrylic to make my own for the next tank. As far as internal overflows, they take up a lot of space and seem outdated to me.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back