Internal vs external overflow

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given all other factors being equal, do you prefer an internal overflow or an external overflow and why?

1000019289.jpg

Adding in the mention that innovative marine uses a coast to coast overflow which I really like, and I have an internal IM 50g tank already. ..... but I also like the aspect that the external overflow tanks use a split return plumbing that they have separated to opposite sides of the tank.

I'm leaning more towards the internal version again for several reasons but I'm curious to hear others thoughts.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on where you put it. If it is flat against a wall my vote is internal, so you can reach it all without having a huge gap. If there is space behind the tank to work on stuff i would go with external because it opens up the display area.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like internal. Let’s you set closer to the wall

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate my external and would never run one again
Would you mind sharing what is it that you dislike?

My current tank I'm looking to replace is 72x24x24" I'm in the process of planning a new build. I want to go 96x30x24" and am thinking external because I'm going from 24" deep to 30" and don't want to go deeper then loose depth to an overflow in the tank. My goal is to have rocks in the center so fish can swim around vs having the rock against the wall like I have now. I'm also thinking of a peninsula so I can place the tank closer to the wall and the plumbing end will be facing a corner. Just thinking out loud and welcome any input from all.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
External hands down. The internal in my planet 120 eats up too much precious space!

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would you mind sharing what is it that you dislike?

My current tank I'm looking to replace is 72x24x24" I'm in the process of planning a new build. I want to go 96x30x24" and am thinking external because I'm going from 24" deep to 30" and don't want to go deeper then loose depth to an overflow in the tank. My goal is to have rocks in the center so fish can swim around vs having the rock against the wall like I have now. I'm also thinking of a peninsula so I can place the tank closer to the wall and the plumbing end will be facing a corner. Just thinking out loud and welcome any input from all.
The Synergy Reef overflow is total garbage. Super loud and hard to tune. Took me forever to figure it out and it’s still too loud. If I get it super quiet, the water is too high in the back box, it creates a bunch of salt creep around the lid, and then it wicks water out of the box. That water can run down your plumbing or wires into your stand or all over the floor. It also requires the tank to be way off the wall if that’s an issue.

If I could do it over, I’d go with an internal but have the it be coast to coast in look. I’d take each side of the box and create a dry box to place my Vortech dry sides and only the inner half or so would be the actual overflow. If that makes any sense. I believe this would also allow me to have a euro brace all the way around the tank.

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Synergy Reef overflow is total garbage. Super loud and hard to tune. Took me forever to figure it out and it’s still too loud. If I get it super quiet, the water is too high in the back box, it creates a bunch of salt creep around the lid, and then it wicks water out of the box. That water can run down your plumbing or wires into your stand or all over the floor. It also requires the tank to be way off the wall if that’s an issue.

If I could do it over, I’d go with an internal but have the it be coast to coast in look. I’d take each side of the box and create a dry box to place my Vortech dry sides and only the inner half or so would be the actual overflow. If that makes any sense. I believe this would also allow me to have a euro brace all the way around the tank.
Synergy is total garbage I agree. Shady business practices with reviews too. Have Exotic marine or modular marine build you a replacement and like an external overflow again!

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a similar debate when ordering my new IM 200 and ended up external. Previous to my current Reefer 350 I had a 120 with an external and I missed it a lot. One thing I hate about the big internal overflows is the way they break up the flow right in the middle. There’s no way to get nice flow behind the rocks.

That said if you’re not doing the full setup with the IM sump, the internal overflow is definitely easier to plumb.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back