Overflow suggestions for future 180 gallon tank

TRPlacek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey ya'll, I'm beginning to plan for my next tank which I will be combining my 2 current tanks into a 180 gallon with 40 breeder sump. This topic will be on the overflow as I don't have a lot of knowledge on the subject but what I do know is that I no longer want the large vertical boxes.

So to start off, what kind (brand) of overflow box and what type of overflow system would you recommend?

ochriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
currently working on 220 build and I have removed the 2 vertical overflows and am putting in a reef synergy overflow in.

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just removed the corner overflows on my 220 and put in a modular marine low profile overflow. Like you I'm using a 40 breeder for my sump. Overflow should be more than adequate to handle the flow I want through the sump and still provide adequate surface skimming.

IMG_1772.JPG

OP
OP
TRPlacek

TRPlacek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just removed the corner overflows on my 220 and put in a modular marine low profile overflow. Like you I'm using a 40 breeder for my sump. Overflow should be more than adequate to handle the flow I want through the sump and still provide adequate surface skimming.

IMG_1772.JPG
Again I'm on a bit of a learning curve. Did you plug the old holes or use them for a return?

cbear44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this. so the bean animal definitely seems to be the way to go. but what about an overflow box? is a coast to coast the best to get or can i use a smaller box that can be just as effective?

I just drilled holes for a 16" synergy overflow in my 180g. I debated between that and a 20". It's probably the easiest solution vs constructing a custom coast to coast.

I'll let you know how it goes. Still have plumbing to do

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something that allows you to have a bean animal configuration, whether it be a Ghost Overflow, a Shadowbox, or just a custom overflow...I LOVE my modified Bean Animal Overflow.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 152 73.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back