Overflow suggestions

Ruckus16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the Zoo Med Low Boy and will be setting it up as a frag tank. I have been researching overflows and it seems like a reoccurring problem with rimmed tanks is the water line ends up being below the rim. What is everyone using for overflows?

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the Zoo Med Low Boy and will be setting it up as a frag tank. I have been researching overflows and it seems like a reoccurring problem with rimmed tanks is the water line ends up being below the rim. What is everyone using for overflows?
I would drill it for a Bean overflow and then have a coast to coast weir fabricated at your local acrylics/ plastics supplier. Your waterline would then be dictated the by notch in your weir. Not to mention you would then enjoy the unmatched flow and flood failsafe capabilities of running a Bean.

OP
OP
R

Ruckus16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on a bean. I have a glassholes.com kit on my 40, it's a nice overflow just want to do a coast to coast.
How do you go about deciding the size of the weir?

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had like 5 of these fabricated over the years.
Some things to keep in mind:
  • once you drill your three holes for the standpipes, install the bulkheads with the elbows and then take your measurement. The bottom of your downturned Ell's should be no more than about 3/4" from the floor of the overflow.
  • Half inch acrylic is ideal so as to prevent bowing but you may get away with 3/8 with no issues
  • The longer and smoother your weir will offer substantially superior flow and surface skimming. Teeth to a good job of keeping fish etc from taking a trip over the weir, but you sacrifice surface skimming and flow over the weir. Pros and cons..
  • the depth of your notch that is your weir, dictates your waterline. For example if your trim on the tank is 1", a 1" notch will keep the water level at the trim line.
Adhering any weir to your glass should be done with a proper silicone. I like Momentive RTV103

HTH

IMG_0258.JPG

IMG_0259.JPG

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a glassholes kit when I drilled my old 40 breeder. I will definitely recommend those and they're a good price.

USMC4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you looking to drill or HOB overflow? What's the size of the tank?

I just recently purchased KollerCraft TOM RP3 Overflow Box it's a HOB overflow with a return and the ability to raise or lower the water level in the tank. It fits on my 65g tall and is rated for up to 150g tank.

OP
OP
R

Ruckus16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you looking to drill or HOB overflow? What's the size of the tank?

I just recently purchased KollerCraft TOM RP3 Overflow Box it's a HOB overflow with a return and the ability to raise or lower the water level in the tank. It fits on my 65g tall and is rated for up to 150g tank.
I'm going to drill. I travel ALOT and don't trust hob. The tank is 50 gallons, 48x24x10

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 44 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 159 73.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.6%
Back