Overflow Tuning

RazorJaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I'm trying to tune my overflow - meaning get the return pump speed and the primary drain valve tightness in sync. I have a red sea xl525 (pictured). Notice the water level is going all the way up to the level of the emergency drain (middle pipe). Is this where the water level should be? I was thinking it shouldn't be this high (it should be at the level of the primary drain which is lower, right?). So I tried loosening the drain valve (letting more water flow to the sump) but then it's not as quite.

A couple more questions... how much flow should I target for my return pump? (I see a lot of information on how to choose the right return pump size, but then having trouble finding info on how fast I should set it. If anyone can point me to good info on the subject of return pump/drain setting (an article, thread, or youtube vid), I'd appreciate. Or, what's your strategy for getting the return pump/drain in sync?

Newbie here trying to figure this out. Thanks!

20220228_074718-Overflow.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OK - so its unclear exactly - which way to turn the big drain knob. But

1. Jiggle multiple times - the drain knob.
2. Move the knob one way or the other to the max
3, Then slowly - like 1/4 turn - move the knob in the opposite direction - wait 10 minutes - and keep continuing it until the sound stops
4. You can also clean the 'knob area' - which I had to do - there are numerous YouTube videos suggesting how to do this here is one (below)

dmsc2fs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You turn the knob to the right to close the valve and increase the water height. You turn it left to open the valve and decrease the water height. I have found that I can't try and target a specific height in the overflow. It just isn't precise enough. If I can get the water slightly below the emergency overflow or just above where it will make a siphon noise I stop. Anywhere in between the two is fine also.

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue with one. Im ready to to get a metric to standard adapter, cut out that piece of crap and install a gate valve like on ALL my other systems, and like I've done for a few decades.

I got this entire reefer system for free, and still can’t explain how unhappy with it I am.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 43 51.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.6%
Back