Overflow water level fluctuating

  • Thread starter Thread starter drcole
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

drcole

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 1, 2015
Messages
876
Reaction score
480
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water level in my over flow rises and drops about 1". This all happens within about 10 seconds. No big deal other than when it's lower, noise from the overflow increases. I plan to combat this by increasing the height of the standpipe. Any opinions or comments are greatly appreciated!
 
Sounds like an intermittent siphon. Is this a durso style drain? If so, do you have a hole drilled in the top cap?
 
Hole drilled in top cap, I can live with it, just didn't know if there were other ideas out there
 
You might be overrunning your drains ability to remain silent. Less flow will make the noise less or stop it.

Two to four times your display tank's volume in GPH is usually enough. Mind you that's actual flow once installed - not the pump's flow rating.

Have you timed your return flow rate since the install?
 
I removed the 1" pvc pipe I had from the top of the sump to cut down on noise and the level no longer fluctuates. I now have a noisy sump, so any ideas?? Only thing I can think of is raising the water level so it doesn't have as far to drop
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 27.9%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new