Overflow WAY TOO LOUD

stevenlu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there,

I've just bought a 100.3 aquarium. Everything is set up and after I plugged in the return pump, the over flow noise started coming out. It is WAY TOO LOUD and I've never heard anything this loud before counting in pump noises, chiller noises, etc. Everything looks ok. There's only one red knob on the drain in the cabinet. Anything else I can do?

Thank you

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two things could be going on. What's water level in your overflow box? It may need to be raised. If that's not it could be too much water flowing into the tank and going into the overflow. The second turned out to be my issue. I've got a DC pump and had to turn it down a couple of % and it solved the problem.

AlexReef100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any sort of fittings in your overflow box, or does the water pour over and go straight down the drain? You might want to look into an overflow box silencer setup.

photo-115.jpg

Build a setup like this out of PVC parts and then place it in your overflow drain, it will keep the water level much higher in the box so it won't sound like a waterfall, and it drains out quietly as well. I've had this setup in my overflow since I initially setup my tank and it makes little to no sound.

OP
OP
stevenlu

stevenlu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two things could be going on. What's water level in your overflow box? It may need to be raised. If that's not it could be too much water flowing into the tank and going into the overflow. The second turned out to be my issue. I've got a DC pump and had to turn it down a couple of % and it solved the problem.
Might be because I have too much water?

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. My tank has an external overflow box from Planet Aquarium...it's like the Shadow overflow. Water level in the box is limited. The more water you're pushing into the tank the higher the water level ends up being on the weirs and causes the loud waterfall noise.

Waterbox Aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be because I have too much water?

You want to use the gate valve to dial in the water level in overflow to be just below the secondary or emergency drain in the overflow box. If you are getting loud noise from your overflow most likely water is going down that second drain which is designed to be loud when in use as it is the "emergency" drain of sorts. Let me know if you got it all dialed in or not :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back