Overhauling a wood stand and canopy

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a 90 gallon stand and canopy and I Will be setting it as a display tank in my fish room

So far I have sanded it down to remove the old finish, and I was looking for ideas on how to re finish it.

I was thinking of staining it like a dark cherry wood/mahogany but then I recall a guy who made a stand and canopy on here and he painted it white and it looked awesome.

This will be a freshwater planted tank so Im not sure if white is the best bet to show off the colors but it would look nice to lighten up the room

What would you do?

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on a few things, the decor around the house and whether you want to match that or not, if you want it to pop or blend in, modern or old school.

OP
OP
riche

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on a few things, the decor around the house and whether you want to match that or not, if you want it to pop or blend in, modern or old school.
It’s in my fish breeding room in my garage where all the tanks are just that, breeding tanks. But I want to have a nice display tank so when people come in it’s the first thing they see

Apotack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i Usually do some test pieces with different colors/finishes. Makes it a lot easier to see how it looks in large form with room lighting.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd paint it too. I would not, however, use white. It will show every last bit of crud that comes into contact with it.

The problem with staining is that unless you get every last bit of the old finish off it will end up blotchy looking.

jm.02

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd paint it too. I would not, however, use white. It will show every last bit of crud that comes into contact with it.

The problem with staining is that unless you get every last bit of the old finish off it will end up blotchy looking.

jm.02
Hes right about that. If you are going to stain it, the prep work is much more.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a 90 gallon stand and canopy and I Will be setting it as a display tank in my fish room

So far I have sanded it down to remove the old finish, and I was looking for ideas on how to re finish it.

I was thinking of staining it like a dark cherry wood/mahogany but then I recall a guy who made a stand and canopy on here and he painted it white and it looked awesome.

This will be a freshwater planted tank so Im not sure if white is the best bet to show off the colors but it would look nice to lighten up the room

What would you do?
I would do white if it's out in the garage particularly. If it is marine based paint, it should be easy to clean. I am leaning towards buying a new one in white for my kitchen.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back