Overkill for Fluval 13.5?

You can upgrade it... But you don't have too.
The downside of running a UV 24/7 is copepods becoming sterile and not being able to reproduce etc. Once your system is established you can run your UV how it suits you.
 
You can upgrade it... But you don't have too.
The downside of running a UV 24/7 is copepods becoming sterile and not being able to reproduce etc. Once your system is established you can run your UV how it suits you.
Hmm, sterile copepods doesn’t necessarily sound like a bad thing, but what do I know. I am a sucker for crystal clear water although I know that may not be realistic or even beneficial for the reef. When do you suggest adding copepods and which specifically?
 
Hmm, sterile copepods doesn’t necessarily sound like a bad thing, but what do I know. I am a sucker for crystal clear water although I know that may not be realistic or even beneficial for the reef. When do you suggest adding copepods and which specifically?
This is the thing about running a UV. All copepods are beneficial, You can purchase a mix of them. but with running a UV they won't reproduce. Some people raise them in a separate system and then add it to their main system if they are running UV. Or you can just buy more. When you add copepods to your system they have to have a food source. Whether that is Phyto, dinos, or just plain detritus. So you have to determine at what point in time to add them, based on what your tanks needs are.
 
This is the thing about running a UV. All copepods are beneficial, You can purchase a mix of them. but with running a UV they won't reproduce. Some people raise them in a separate system and then add it to their main system if they are running UV. Or you can just buy more. When you add copepods to your system they have to have a food source. Whether that is Phyto, dinos, or just plain detritus. So you have to determine at what point in time to add them, based on what your tanks needs are.
Thanks so much, I really appreciate the info. My plan was to start running the UV as soon as I saw Dinos/hair algae etc. but I like the idea of combatting them naturally at first, can always fall back if needed.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new