Overkill for Fluval 13.5?

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can upgrade it... But you don't have too.
The downside of running a UV 24/7 is copepods becoming sterile and not being able to reproduce etc. Once your system is established you can run your UV how it suits you.

OP
OP
A

ajm123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can upgrade it... But you don't have too.
The downside of running a UV 24/7 is copepods becoming sterile and not being able to reproduce etc. Once your system is established you can run your UV how it suits you.
Hmm, sterile copepods doesn’t necessarily sound like a bad thing, but what do I know. I am a sucker for crystal clear water although I know that may not be realistic or even beneficial for the reef. When do you suggest adding copepods and which specifically?

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, sterile copepods doesn’t necessarily sound like a bad thing, but what do I know. I am a sucker for crystal clear water although I know that may not be realistic or even beneficial for the reef. When do you suggest adding copepods and which specifically?
This is the thing about running a UV. All copepods are beneficial, You can purchase a mix of them. but with running a UV they won't reproduce. Some people raise them in a separate system and then add it to their main system if they are running UV. Or you can just buy more. When you add copepods to your system they have to have a food source. Whether that is Phyto, dinos, or just plain detritus. So you have to determine at what point in time to add them, based on what your tanks needs are.

OP
OP
A

ajm123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the thing about running a UV. All copepods are beneficial, You can purchase a mix of them. but with running a UV they won't reproduce. Some people raise them in a separate system and then add it to their main system if they are running UV. Or you can just buy more. When you add copepods to your system they have to have a food source. Whether that is Phyto, dinos, or just plain detritus. So you have to determine at what point in time to add them, based on what your tanks needs are.
Thanks so much, I really appreciate the info. My plan was to start running the UV as soon as I saw Dinos/hair algae etc. but I like the idea of combatting them naturally at first, can always fall back if needed.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back