Overlapping TTM treatments

Trailermann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to introduce more fish more quickly into my display tank.

Fish #1 starts its 12 day TTM treatment program on day 1. On day 4, that fish moves into the second tank and newly purchased fish #2 joins fish #1 on the second tank. On day 12, the first fish is finished and moves out of the TTM system, which fish #2 continues until day 15.

Voila! Both fish ich free. Am I missing something?

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this hobby nothing good ever happens fast..

Missing an observation period, velvet or other parasites the fish may be harboring will not be eradicated with TTM

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As soon as fish #2 is added to the same tank as fish #1, the clock resets and it is back to day one again for both. And what to do about potential flukes/worms?
Also you really need at least a 2-3 week observation period following prophylactic treatment to reduce the chance of something slipping thru.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to introduce more fish more quickly into my display tank.

Fish #1 starts its 12 day TTM treatment program on day 1. On day 4, that fish moves into the second tank and newly purchased fish #2 joins fish #1 on the second tank. On day 12, the first fish is finished and moves out of the TTM system, which fish #2 continues until day 15.

Voila! Both fish ich free. Am I missing something?

You need to follow the rules of TTM to be successful.

When you introduced new fish #2 to fish #1 into second tank...you have now restarted the clock.

Fish #2 must join fish #1....FROM DAY 1. Otherwise...fish #2 possibly just reintroduced more parasites to fish #1 and now the previous 4 days work with fish #1 were meaningless.

Start all fish at same time and move all fish at same time.

OP
OP
T

Trailermann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear your warning about second fish infecting first fish. But I did not think that the ich parasites jump to another fish. I thought they stayed in one fish until they were ready to progress to their next stage, and fall free in order to attach to a rock or other surface. That is why we continue to change tanks and water in the TTM method.

Spar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Albeit the risk is probably low, you do risk that you transfer over a Protomont when transferring a tiny bit of water to the DT that comes with the fish.

And Ich is the least of your worries in terms of catastrophic results in your tank. I just lost all but 4 of my fish to Velvet that transferred in either on snails or a Purple Tang that I didn't do an observation period for, just the 12 days of TTM. Rushing the QT process will eventually bite.

Back