Overly aggressive clownfish

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time and time aging we write and read about clownfish being so cute , hardy , the first fish everyone wants to add but the part I don’t understand is how these evil fish Has won so much positive attention

every time I feed , scrape the glass or even use the mag scrubber in the tank she goes completely insane attacking anything that moves ( reminds me of cujo )

is there anything to do that can occupy her long enough for me to scrape the glass ?

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to give it more attention, hand feedings and the occasional kiss on the head. Nothing soothes the savage beast like love and attention.

Photo_1656523767576.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are dangerous. They have a innate raging desire to protect their territories. If they think you are threatening their territory they don’t consider your size as a reason not to attack, they just attack. They are incredibly bold really, or stupidly aggressive?

Once they establish their home it’s a dangerous place to enter.

So, what I do with these fish is to educate by talking and training them that I am not interested in invading, attacking, molesting, or displacing or stealing food from them. I talk to the vicious fish before I put my hands in the tank. If it attacks I don’t retreat, I chase it around with my hand before I resume cleaning. If it’s unrelenting I flick the fish with my fingers or get a net and chase it around the tank until it’s tired. If I catch it, I’ll hold it in my hand out of the water for a moment before I hand release it back into the tank, or the time out sump if the fish is a stubborn learner. Key is to talk, let it know what you expect of it, and keep at this until the fish understands that you are the alpha and you supply the food, and you don’t like getting bit and attacked when you have to reach inside the tank.
Make eye contact with the fish before you feed to reinforce your order in the tank.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time and time aging we write and read about clownfish being so cute , hardy , the first fish everyone wants to add but the part I don’t understand is how these evil fish Has won so much positive attention

every time I feed , scrape the glass or even use the mag scrubber in the tank she goes completely insane attacking anything that moves ( reminds me of cujo )

is there anything to do that can occupy her long enough for me to scrape the glass ?
Protecting her space.
Your in her space!

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are dangerous. They have a innate raging desire to protect their territories. If they think you are threatening their territory they don’t consider your size as a reason not to attack, they just attack. They are incredibly bold really, or stupidly aggressive?

Once they establish their home it’s a dangerous place to enter.

So, what I do with these fish is to educate by talking and training them that I am not interested in invading, attacking, molesting, or displacing or stealing food from them. I talk to the vicious fish before I put my hands in the tank. If it attacks I don’t retreat, I chase it around with my hand before I resume cleaning. If it’s unrelenting I flick the fish with my fingers or get a net and chase it around the tank until it’s tired. If I catch it, I’ll hold it in my hand out of the water for a moment before I hand release it back into the tank, or the time out sump if the fish is a stubborn learner. Key is to talk, let it know what you expect of it, and keep at this until the fish understands that you are the alpha and you supply the food, and you don’t like getting bit and attacked when you have to reach inside the tank.
Make eye contact with the fish before you feed to reinforce your order in the tank.
You sir are BRAVE LOL

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What kind of clownfish do you have? Mine was a jerk went he was solo. When he got a girlfriend he turned into a complete *******, so that didn’t help…

gregdepot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had Tomatos and even a Gold Stripe Maroon and, Common Clowns etc that were all chill. My current Pair a Giant Tomato Female and a normal size Cinnamon male are pretty aggressive but I got them from a tank with a 8” Damsel and a Clown Trigger. The female has scars and dents in her face.

The Female defends the territory from fish and the male from me.

That said It I put the net between my hand and them they get the message and it cuts down attacks by 90% unless the see an opportunity to get me and think they can out run the net.

OP
OP
Rmckoy

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of clownfish do you have? Mine was a jerk went he was solo. When he got a girlfriend he turned into a complete *******, so that didn’t help…
They are plain cheap ocs .

so maybe this is her manipulating way of enforcing a divorce ?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 111 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back